95 Ford Ranger 4-cyl Head Gasket Problem? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 Ford Ranger 4-cyl Head Gasket Problem?

DUPEY87

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ranger
So I have a 1995 ford ranger. I recently noticed it started losing coolant to the point where i would have to fill it up every 3 or 4 days if i ran the a/c. In addition to that, my heat gauge will never get up to more than half way hot, but it does constantly bounce around. I flushed out my radiator which was heavily corroded and days later the problems with the gauge and the coolant running low persisted. I checked for any leaks in the radiator hoses or the reservoir tank and found nothing. So I ran the engine with the radiator cap off and the radiator fluid runs out which has lead me to believe that i have a blown head gasket. Just trying to find out if my head gasket is for sure the problem, if the head gasket replacement is something I can do myself, or if i can just get some of the stop leak stuff and let it go with that. My oil is not a milky color at all and i have verified there is no coolant in the oil.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could also be the intake manifold gasket, right at the front corner is a common leak spot.
What size engine are we talkin about here?

Its a 4 cylinder. I'm not sure on the liters. 3.0 i think. Also thought it might be helpful to let you know that about 6 months back I replaced the spark plugs and the check engine light came on. Don't know if that had anything to do with it. It's a standard ranger also. Sorry kind of new to repairing my own car. Let me know if there is any other information I can provide. Thx!

I moved your thread to the Ranger section, and clarified the title slightly, to help you get helpful responses.

Looking here, http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/4cylinders.html you should have the 2.3 engine, if you have a 95 4-cyl.
I don't know that engine, but I know some other guys will chime in that do!

Oh and also wanted to let you know that after I did the coolant flush, which took about an hour and a half, there is still some corrosion in the coolant and so I'm not sure if that is causing the hot/cold meter to bounce around. Any ideas you have would be helpful. Thanks again!

New developement it's also shaking a lot for about 5-10 seconds in the morning when it starts and i just went on my lunch break @ work and it shook for like 15-20 seconds before it could stop. Is this a sign that the problem is getting worse? Just trying to see if i can let this go and keep adding coolant for a couple weeks till i get paid.

Back