Constantly have to replace ignition lock cylinder. 95 ford ranger 4 cyl 2wd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Constantly have to replace ignition lock cylinder. 95 ford ranger 4 cyl 2wd

DUPEY87

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ranger
So I replaced one ignition lock cylinder last Wednesday. A week later the car wouldn't start and it seemed like the battery has gone dead. So naturally, the first thing I did was jump start it. It worked, but the battery voltage gauge in my car was was twitching and I had to jump start it every time. So I replaced the ig lock cylinder and it started without a jump. So today I just sit and turn the car on and off for a while because something feels weird. Sometimes the key gets stuck and sometimes it takes a couple times to get it started. Same thing happened. I am going to get ANOTHER lock cylinder tomorrow but at this rate, I need to figure out what's wrong. Can't afford to keep buying this part every couple days. I had my alternator, starter, and battery checked and they all checked out fine. I have no idea what the problem is. Any ideas?

Did you check out the ignition swith that is located on the steering column. They are known for coming apart and causing the problems that you are describing. Take the plastic column covers off and look at the switch and see if the plastic part is coming loose from the metal part. You can push them back together and take a small hammer and a flat blade screw driver and tap the four metal fingers at each corner down tight that hold it together. That is a temp fix and the switch should be replaced with a new one. They run about 10 to 15 dollars.

Does anyone have a step by step guide on replacing ignition switch on a 95 ranger?

Ok I'm very confused. I went to autozone and bought an ignition starter switch. Is this the part your reffering to?

Back