• Register Today It's free!

87oct to 93oct

mobeious

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT V8
i have been running 87 in my 4.6 explorer since i got it never really seen a reason to run 93 ... but today i figured what the hell lets see if it makes a differerence so i ran my truck to empty .. rode around with the fuel light then filled up with 93............ it made my truck sluggish ... no where near the power i had ... wtf is up with that

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have been running 87 in my 4.6 explorer since i got it never really seen a reason to run 93 ... but today i figured what the hell lets see if it makes a differerence so i ran my truck to empty .. rode around with the fuel light then filled up with 93............ it made my truck sluggish ... no where near the power i had ... wtf is up with that

The ECU is tuned to run 87 oct. I think you need to get a programmer or have someone tune your ECU to run 93 oct. I think thats how it works. Higher oct is more for forced induction than N/A. But than again that's just my thoughts on it I could be wrong. Let's see what some other people say about it.

The ECU is tuned to run 87 oct. I think you need to get a programmer or have someone tune your ECU to run 93 oct. I think thats how it works. Higher oct is more for forced induction than N/A. But than again that's just my thoughts on it I could be wrong. Let's see what some other people say about it.

This. Higher octaine burns slower which will produce less power unless the engine compensates. Higher octaine is really for knock or detonation resistance from high compression or boost.

This. Higher octaine burns slower which will produce less power unless the engine compensates. Higher octaine is really for knock or detonation resistance from high compression or boost.

So was any of what I said was right still kind of new at this stuff but know enough to try and help out lol thanx for your info

Unless your vehicle recomends it, modern cars will not benefit from higher octane gas. It will hurt your performance. Modern cars run on computers which are programmed for specific tolerances.

They should really put warning labels on high octane gas nowadays.

My owners manual only recommends 87 and says higher may cause lower gas mileage and poor performance.

guess that explains how i went through a entire tank of gas in 3 days

My owners manual only recommends 87 and says higher may cause lower gas mileage and poor performance.

Owner's manual knows best! :thumbsup:

Unless your vehicle recomends it, modern cars will not benefit from higher octane gas. It will hurt your performance. Modern cars run on computers which are programmed for specific tolerances.

They should really put warning labels on high octane gas nowadays.

LMFAO! Would people really look at them, though??

So was any of what I said was right still kind of new at this stuff but know enough to try and help out lol thanx for your info

In a way, yes. If the computer is tuned for a specific octaine, it is set to maximize power for a certain mixture, burn rate, compression, etc. It will give you best performance there. If you go to a higher octaine, different compression, different mixture, boost, nitrous, etc., then the tuning is different and may require higher octaine. The recommendation for best power is to use the minimum octaine that is recommended.

As others have said, higher octane is less resistant to burning and thus more stable. It is best suited for very high compression (and thus high HP n/a motors) or forced induction, where compression is made higher via boost which comes at the cost of a higher intake air temperature. High octane is needed to remain stable under these more extreme conditions to avoid premature firing in the cylinders (detonation).

Ford says use 87, so use 87 in a stock motor.

At lower altitudes in cold weather it might be okay to use 85, we all know plenty of people who put 85 in thier vehicles and don't have any "problems" where 87 is actually recommended. Ford expclitity says in owners manuals NOT to use 85 at high altitudes. I trust them, they designed the engine.

^ Deuces has a point, the main thing that a "tune" can do on a conventional fuel injected vehicle is change your air/fuel ratio under different conditions. All of us turbo owners know that detonation is occurs usually during a lean mixture, so I'd say it's plenty logical that a different tune could be suited for a higher octane.

Back