looking at a 93 Ex, says "No brakes" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

looking at a 93 Ex, says "No brakes"

ProjectAviator

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SE, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT,
I was over in Cheyenne this evening. Stopped at one of the small time dealers. They have a 93 Explorer XLT, but says "no brakes" on the tag. the dealer wasn't open so I couldn't check. But probaly doesn't know. The truck was open so I was able to press the brake. it has slight resistance but goes right to the floor. I didn't notice any puddles under it.
Any ideas on what it can be? It could be had for a good price. It may be a good deal if I can get the brakes working.

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

brake master cylinder

Rabs valve could be problem!

could be a lot of things, brake master cylinder, leaky wheel cylinders or calipers, bad brake lines, someone forgot to bleed the lines, rear brakes are completely worn out and the automatic slack adjusters can't compensate, stuck slack adjusters, etc. If the brakes already leaked out most of the way before it was put where it is at, then it wouldn't leave a puddle. Without inspecting the vehicle or without more information, it is impossible to make a diagnosis, all we can tell you are the many things that can cause that.

As far as the price.... there is nothing in the brake system that is especially difficult or expensive to replace (ok, some of the hard lines are kinda difficult to replace). If you want to fix it, then get it.

Go back during business hours, pop the hood and have a look. Wet area under the master cylinder on the booster indicates a bad master cylinder. Look at the backs of every wheel to look for signs of leaks there. Check the level and condition of the fluid in the reservoir to get an idea of the problem as well. Your most likely problems will boil down to leaky wheel cylinders, calipers or master cylinder, or rear brakes in desperate need of new shoes and/or hardware. None of those problems should set you back much more than a hundred bucks and a couple hours of work if you are a novice mechanic and have a buddy to help bleed your brakes.

You will never know until you... know. But, we can say a few things likely:

1. It was too much work/expense for the previous owner.

2. It was too much work/expense for the dealer.

(or it might be a gimmick of some kind and you will find out later that the diffs are full of bananas.)

You will never know until you... know. But, we can say a few things likely:

1. It was too much work/expense for the previous owner.

2. It was too much work/expense for the dealer.

(or it might be a gimmick of some kind and you will find out later that the diffs are full of bananas.)

This....

Dealing with a truck now that had "a few minor issues" when I bought it... having spent 6 months and several hundred dollars fixing it. (Last night I filled up the front differential to find out it was bone dry and leaked like a ***** from the spindle seal)...

I would buy a big thing of cheapo brake fluid and take it with me and proceed to check out the brakes. Chances are, if the calipers are or lines are leaking that they leaked somewhere else and you aren't going to find puddles... so take some brake fluid and create puddles to see where they are coming from.

Also, when you offer a price, subtract $60 per hour of estimated labor for two people, the cost of the fluid and the cost of any estimated parts from your offer...... Why? Cause its what deals do to you when you bring in a trade in.... f*ckers.

Also, when you offer a price, subtract $60 per hour of estimated labor for two people, the cost of the fluid and the cost of any estimated parts from your offer.......

Plus the cost of your favorite alcohol for the said two people to help fix it, and any damaged tools that may get flung from dealing with said basket case.

Maybe the tool flinging is just me.... not that I intentionally fling my tools, but it beats saying the Lord's name in vain....

Maybe the tool flinging is just me.... not that I intentionally fling my tools, but it beats saying the Lord's name in vain....

There is a certain skill involved in tool flinging. I believe I am quite good at it. Last year, I put a new jigsaw all the way across the yard.

A less skilled example: Years ago, my stepson was driving home and somehow cut a corner too close, put a wheel in the ditch. Brainiac gets out of the car, looks at this situation, gets mad, and throws whatever he has at hand into the woods. Unfortunately, what he had at hand were the sole set of keys for the vehicle. :rolleyes:

Back