4th gen off road capable or ????

ProjectAviator

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SE, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT,
I am looking at the possiblity of getting a 2010 Ex. I will be wanting to use it off road. Are they off road capable or Not. I would like to know before I start into one and find I am not able to use it the way I want.

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

compared to what? (or) to handle what? your expectations will determine the answer. seeing that you have a 98 Jeep GC, I will answer that no the explorer (2010) will not be as capable as that. why? (Jeep has shorter wheelbase, more ground clearnace, and solid axles front and rear) But, compared to other 2010 models, which have generally gone more pavement oriented, a 2010 explorer has some capabilities. selectable 4wd with low range, body on frame, 'decent' clearance (compared to crossovers) you would likely handle rutted trails, hills, and mud, but don't expect a rock-crawler. better 4door SUV options for off-road performance would include an xterra, 4runner, wrangler unlimited.

hope this helps.

fail thread.. but benders reply is pretty much the answer. Except I must add that with the ex's brake control, they are very off road capable. They just can't flex worth a **** and big time lack clearance.

Thanks, I will forget the 4th gen. and look into another 2nd gen.

Tim

Maybe I didn't make myself clear.. 4th Gens are very capable. Theres no way in hell I'd have a 2nd Gen over my 4th. This is The Electrician's truck, but I'm working on some vids with mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5RC55VvqLI

Get a 4th Gen!! No regrets.

Might also want to consider a 2005-2010 Grand Cherokee as an upgrade from your current one.

Other than the JK Rubicons, there isn't a stock 4wd system that can touch the Quadra-Drive II available in the WK's. Not only does it have 4 wheel brake assist traction control (which in itself makes any vehicle very capable), it also had hydraulically controlled (but electronically actuated) differentials in both axles that are capable of locking the axles in offroad conditions.

Well my Jeep is being purchased by my son so he has it now. I was looking to trade our 04 Denali on it. But dealer says it is a no go. so we are keeping the GMC. Looking at a 1st gen Ex or a '70 Jimmy on 39s. Both need work.

Tim

Might also want to consider a 2005-2010 Grand Cherokee as an upgrade from your current one.

Other than the JK Rubicons, there isn't a stock 4wd system that can touch the Quadra-Drive II available in the WK's. Not only does it have 4 wheel brake assist traction control (which in itself makes any vehicle very capable), it also had hydraulically controlled (but electronically actuated) differentials in both axles that are capable of locking the axles in offroad conditions.

totally agree, no stock electronically controlled 4WD system is capable as Quadra-Drive II

but you can upgrade 4th gen explorer's traction control to match Quadra-Drive II with more reliability by installing helical LSD's front and rear (no clutches packs nor special friction modifier additive) like what I did to mine

the explorer 4th gen is very capable if modified at least in ground clearance wise.

but if you want the best stock on-road off-road SUV, then I suggest the top line of Toyota FJ Cruiser or Toyota Land Cruiser with KDSS

A 5 or 6 year old range rover is fair value for money if you can get hold of one......Nah, go the 4th gen!!!!

but you can upgrade 4th gen explorer's traction control to match Quadra-Drive II with more reliability by installing helical LSD's front and rear (no clutches packs nor special friction modifier additive) like what I did to mine

I actually installed that type of diff on my silverado. While it worked extremely well, it still acts like an LSD when one wheel comes off the ground... power doesn't transfer to the other wheel. The QD-II system locks the axles together. On the street it acts as a variable LSD, and offroad it'll lock them up and keep them locked until it's not needed. I'm quite impressed with the system.

As far as reliability goes, i've yet to hear any issues with the EGerodisc differentials used in the Commanders and Grand Cherokees.

Another thing that I like about these model years is that the rear axles are full floaters. Definitely a "nice to have" for wheeling.

Note, although now own a Jeep, im not a jeep advocate. I am one of the least brand bias persons alive. :D. A definite "pro" for the explorer is aftermarket support... the XK and WK lineup is VERY limited in terms of upgrades available to the drivetrain. But if you get a QD-II system and 3.73s stock, you really won't need any drivetrain upgrades.

.... on the other hand, if you're targeting deep mud runs, then I'd definitely lean towards the Explorer. Fitting huge tires is very difficult on the XK's and WK's, and if you make them fit, you're limited in available gear ratios. But for any type of trail riding.... I've seen XK's tackle trails that other modified vehicles with more flex and bigger tires have struggled on (especially at MOAB).

I actually installed that type of diff on my silverado. While it worked extremely well, it still acts like an LSD when one wheel comes off the ground... power doesn't transfer to the other wheel. The QD-II system locks the axles together. On the street it acts as a variable LSD, and offroad it'll lock them up and keep them locked until it's not needed. I'm quite impressed with the system.

As far as reliability goes, i've yet to hear any issues with the EGerodisc differentials used in the Commanders and Grand Cherokees.

Another thing that I like about these model years is that the rear axles are full floaters. Definitely a "nice to have" for wheeling.

Note, although now own a Jeep, im not a jeep advocate. I am one of the least brand bias persons alive. :D. A definite "pro" for the explorer is aftermarket support... the XK and WK lineup is VERY limited in terms of upgrades available to the drivetrain. But if you get a QD-II system and 3.73s stock, you really won't need any drivetrain upgrades.

.... on the other hand, if you're targeting deep mud runs, then I'd definitely lean towards the Explorer. Fitting huge tires is very difficult on the XK's and WK's, and if you make them fit, you're limited in available gear ratios. But for any type of trail riding.... I've seen XK's tackle trails that other modified vehicles with more flex and bigger tires have struggled on (especially at MOAB).

your silverado did not have brake traction control while explorers do

when one tire goes off ground the brake traction control locks the axle

i'm not saying explorer is better than jeeps

I said traction control system in explorer could be upgraded to match QD-II

here in Saudi Arabia jeeps are not preferred, due to poor local dealer services, high priced and hard to find spare parts (the dealer does not have stock and lots of time he need to order them from US)

and wranglers have a bad reputation that they tend to break axles and diff's (we don't have robicon model)

That is true... the brake assist in these new vehicles really do a good job. Hell, the QT2 equipped jeeps have open differentials and just use the brake assist to transfer power, and i've seen them tackle some very difficult obstacles. There have only been a few instances where i've seen a driver have to use a different route because the brakes weren't enough to transfer enough torque to traverse a very very steep obstacle. The QD2 system also uses brake assist, but only until the axle locks up.

I like Bender's reply. You need to know what you want your rig to do off-road. We have modified our '10 EB to be capable of MOAB 4/5 trails (using their 10 pt system). We want to be able to sleep in it and you won't find another suv with as much room behind the front seats. If I want to go extreme I use our '98 TJ. We did a difficult trail into Silver City ID recently and were very happy with the truck and this was before adding the bigger tires.

I like Bender's reply. You need to know what you want your rig to do off-road. We have modified our '10 EB to be capable of MOAB 4/5 trails (using their 10 pt system). We want to be able to sleep in it and you won't find another suv with as much room behind the front seats. If I want to go extreme I use our '98 TJ. We did a difficult trail into Silver City ID recently and were very happy with the truck and this was before adding the bigger tires.

Shuswap I have some questions.

What is Moab 10 pt system?

And what modifications did you do on your Ex, to be capable of MOAB 4/5 trails?

Also, is there any photos for your modifications?

Ditto, I would like to see this also please.

x3... i would love to see some pics!

Here's one of my favorite pics from a member on my XK forum. Makes me want to move out West! :(

DSC05167.jpg

Here is a link to the MOAB system http://www.utah.com/offroad/moab_trail_ratings.htm

My mods are shown below in this reply but add the Curt front end receiver with tow hook which is going on this week. There is lots of info on this forum and others about the Truxxx leveling kit. I went with the maximum sized tires I could with that kit installed. There is slight rubbing on fully turned wheels which I don't do on the trail. BTW these tires are very quite on pavement and have the snow mark.

I had an 07 Commander Overland with QDII. It was by far the best 4wd system I have ever owned. I had a lift/tire kit and it would go wherever I wanted to go (in between stops at the gas pump). I traded up to an 09 Ex EB 4x2. Rides nicer and gets way better mileage. I got a wrangler to take off road.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back