MFT Killed Fords Quality... Ford ranks #23 in JD Powers | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT Killed Fords Quality... Ford ranks #23 in JD Powers

Hey I found an interested article relating to this JD Power, here's an excerpt:

Customers of vehicles complained so loudly about the MyFord Touch that it almost alone has caused Ford’s JD Power ranking to plummet. Ford has planned to roll the MyFord Touch out into other vehicles company wide, but they are now rethinking the move. Additionally, Ford announced the day ahead of the JD Power Survey release, that they would be reworking the system for existing models.

http://www.activityvehicle.com/2011/06/myford-touch-hurts-ford-in-jd-power-quality/

So that alludes to the 2011 owners may be able to get the new system when it arrives, hopefully for all you guys having so much trouble

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is why I canceled my order and have no regrets about the decision.

I maintain that there was insufficient testing on the system or it would never have been released.

I'm very hopeful and expect that Ford will correct the deficiencies in the system and I will revisit buying one in the future.

I'm confused. Your avatar shows that you actually own a 2011 Explorer.

Hey I found an interested article relating to this JD Power, here's an excerpt:

Customers of vehicles complained so loudly about the MyFord Touch that it almost alone has caused Ford’s JD Power ranking to plummet. Ford has planned to roll the MyFord Touch out into other vehicles company wide, but they are now rethinking the move. Additionally, Ford announced the day ahead of the JD Power Survey release, that they would be reworking the system for existing models.

http://www.activityvehicle.com/2011/06/myford-touch-hurts-ford-in-jd-power-quality/

So that alludes to the 2011 owners may be able to get the new system when it arrives, hopefully for all you guys having so much trouble

Did anyone see that announcement? My biggest concern is that Ford has been completely silent about the problems with MFT and that they wont make things right for us current owners.

Additionally, Ford announced the day ahead of the JD Power Survey release, that they would be reworking the system for existing models.

I guess how you feel about that statement depends on what you think "reworking the system for existing models" means. As for myself, I don't think it means very much. A couple of software upgrades maybe? They've done 2.4, 2.7, and now 2.8. So we'll probably see a 2.11 or a 2.12. Whatever. But nothing that fundamentally changes the experience or provides a dramatic improvement, I'm guessing.

It's not like they can (or would) retrofit thousands of existing vehicles with new equipment, so they're limited to software patches and bugfixes. A dog with a few fewer fleas is all we can hope for, imo. And we'll probably have to fight with our dealers to even get that installed.

My hope is that they will see the foolishness of requiring us to take the vehicle to the dealer for 30 minute service each time the software needs to be updated. If they can let us do it via USB drives....

And I agree that they are not likely to give us any sort of hardware fix. It would be awesome but is completely unlikely.

I would have a different perspective if I was one who was having major issues with my system but at this point, I could not imaging driving a vehicle without the MFT interface. Just a beautiful looking and fun system to use.
Absolutely agree with you. Just got back from a long road trip with my Ex and I am totally ecstatic about it's performance. Both the vehicle in general and MFT in particular.

No, there is nothing wrong if your preference is less tech and a simpler interface. But equally there is nothing wrong with wanting a vehicle that is more versatile and more capable in the tech area. Now that I have come up on the learning curve, I find I don't take my eyes off the road any more than I did with my 93 Explorer.

I am not discounting those folks who are having problems. If you are having serious issues, your complaints are valid. Understand however, that there are some of us who have found the experience with our 2011 Ex's, while not perfect, to be overwhelmingly positive. Like drober, I cannot imagine ever getting a car without some sort of MFT-like system. My 2011 Ex has spoiled me forever.

I am not discounting those folks who are having problems. If you are having serious issues, your complaints are valid. Understand however, that there are some of us who have found the experience with our 2011 Ex's, while not perfect, to be overwhelmingly positive. Like drober, I cannot imagine ever getting a car without some sort of MFT-like system. My 2011 Ex has spoiled me forever.

Absolutely totally agree, no issues with mine either, love it so far. Today I went abiout 100 miles round trip with a friend who bought a RX350 a few weeks before me, he really was impressed with MFT and he is a computer guru. We talked about how MFT is a little slow but he liked all the functionality it had over his. No A-pillar rattle, no streaky windows, no gaps, plugged in the address and away we went....no problem, of course no hard rain on the trip!! :D

I do hope the folks that are having problems get them addressed and are eventually satisfied but the 2011 Explorers are NOT all lemons!!

That being said, with all this new hi tech stuff I bought the 6yr - 100k mile extended service plan when I bought it...ahemm! ;)

That being said, with all this new hi tech stuff I bought the 6yr - 100k mile extended service plan when I bought it...ahemm! ;)

Exactly why I bought the 6yr - 125,000 warranty.. I do about 20k a year so both miles and time will expire at about the same time.

Not only that but I don't forsee going to a 3rd mechanic for all this high tech stuff. If Ford can't diagnose it right, no side mechanic will be able to for quite some time in the future. Ford mechanic = big bucks lol.

Ford responded to consumers by adding all the "techy" items in there vehicles. Yes, the bugs, glitches, hiccups, brain farts exsist. You want a vehicle that offers plain jane amenities, bury your nose in the classic section of the car ads and find yourself that gorgeous 1972 Bronco with the basic push-pull buttons and window cranks. Do you ever question the technology of a commercial airplane when you board? How 'bout that computer that leads you to this site? It just amazes me how people are quick to pull the plug on something when it doesn't work as expected right off the get go. I can relate, I also have a $47,000 bucket of wires in my garage. I've owned many items that have had growing pains in the past and I forsee it happing in the future. The manufacturer builds what we ask for, and for doing so, we either pat the engineers on the back, or burn them at the stake. Here's my take on the quirps of a new vehicle, as long as it's not life threatning, give the damn thing a chance for the manufacturer to get it right, that's why there's consumer advocates to raise the eyebrows of the producers who build the products we buy.
Yes, I like tech integration, but while consumers may be asking for it, producers shouldn't release it until it is ready. And MFT in the Explorer wasn't anywhere close to being ready to release. I bet someone in Dearborn, who hopefullly doesn't have that same job now, said "It's 99% there - really" when asked if MFT was ready to go for the vehicle launch.

And the reason the Space Shuttle has been flying with decades old tech is because it works. The desire to upgrade to new and great shouldn't be driven by just the desire. It needs to be driven by having a replacement product that actually works.

I am being patient with MFT. Overall I like it. But even in v2.8 it is a clunky, buggy, kludge that should have never made it to market when it did.

Now they are trying to fix it on the fly. Simple features like updating voice commands for Sirius took weeks to release after the Sirius schedule change. I bet someone was sitting around a table and the question of lineup changes came along and they said "Oh, Sirius only does that once every couple years, we can wait on that fix." Surprise - and hundreds of frustrated customers were created.

And then there are features like just getting a list of the current Sirius playlist that is seamless and instantaneous on your satellite radio device with limited memory and graphics that takes forever and is so useless on MFT.

Would I still order it? Yeah - I need the rest of the features that come with the package that included it. And over time I'm sure they will figure it out. But at this point I think the president of the company should send everyone who has MFT a letter and personally say "we screwed up, and we're going to make it right for you". That would be a start.

If Ford is going to redesign the whole MFT to actually work like it's supposed to, they need to send current consumers that fix model. It's the only right thing to do. I don't think it should be a "we might get that new model" We should get that new model because nothing is working like it's supposed to and even with an APIM change, problems arise again in less than 4 months. We are under warranty for 3 years and I think it should count towards the warranty as it is Ford's fault for it not working properly.

Now they are trying to fix it on the fly. Simple features like updating voice commands for Sirius took weeks to release after the Sirius schedule change. I bet someone was sitting around a table and the question of lineup changes came along and they said "Oh, Sirius only does that once every couple years, we can wait on that fix." Surprise - and hundreds of frustrated customers were created.

And then there are features like just getting a list of the current Sirius playlist that is seamless and instantaneous on your satellite radio device with limited memory and graphics that takes forever and is so useless on MFT.

Is this why when I try to connect to Sirius 206 (aka the Virus) voice commands tell me that channel doesn't exist?

I haven't done that channel update because when it came out my system was working ok (just slow), and didnt want to do anything that might cause it to start screwing up.

Guess I've got to go find it.

If Ford is going to redesign the whole MFT to actually work like it's supposed to, they need to send current consumers that fix model. It's the only right thing to do. I don't think it should be a "we might get that new model" We should get that new model because nothing is working like it's supposed to and even with an APIM change, problems arise again in less than 4 months. We are under warranty for 3 years and I think it should count towards the warranty as it is Ford's fault for it not working properly.

I agree with you in principle, but the reality may be different. If a "fix" is software-only, then it may well be possible to retrofit tens of thousands of existing vehicles, though I imagine that would be a logistical nightmare and I'm sure you'd have to fight like hell to make it happen. If on the other hand the fix (for future models) involves hardware changes, then I'd say the chances of having your existing vehicle retrofitted (if it would even be possible) would be nil.

So far all we have are vague promises that Ford wants to make it right. What these vague pronouncements lack are any details about what this means. Right for existing models? Right for future models? And what does "right" even mean? A perfectly working MFT? Or one that merely sucks a little less?

Color me skeptical.

Let's say there are 50,000 Explorers on the road, and about 200,000 Edges/MKXs. Take 250,000 and multiply it by $200 x vehicle that would be the approximate hardware replacement cost (MFT UI module, which excludes sirius, and nav) and install (1 hour at shop for plug/play).

Total replacement cost? $50 million.

That is a drop in the bucket to ensure customer loyalty for years to come. How much would it cost Ford in lost future revenue if half of those 250,000 customers do not return to the brand for a looooong time due to MFT?

Makes perfect sense to me.

Let's say there are 50,000 Explorers on the road, and about 200,000 Edges/MKXs. Take 250,000 and multiply it by $200 x vehicle that would be the approximate hardware replacement cost (MFT UI module, which excludes sirius, and nav) and install (1 hour at shop for plug/play).

Total replacement cost? $50 million.

That is a drop in the bucket to ensure customer loyalty for years to come. How much would it cost Ford in lost future revenue if half of those 250,000 customers do not return to the brand for a looooong time due to MFT?

Makes perfect sense to me.

Not sure I'm buying your premise that Ford could do what you suggest at $200 per vehicle, but then again I'd have no way of disproving it. I guess we'll all find out together. My prediction is that we'll see some sort of software update along the lines of 2.4 --> 2.7 --> 2.8. Hopefully enough to get rid of most of the bugs. I'm just having a hard time envisioning the complete overhaul that many seem to be hoping for. I'd love to be wrong about that.

StunnedMonkey, oh, I'm with you 100%. We will never see a full system replace. That was just me running some high-level numbers.

We are gonna get just what you say: a couple of updates and that's it. We are stuck with MyFordVista.

I doubt that Ford is re-engineering the hardware. This is the typical rush the software to market even though it is not ready. They are dealing with the problem on two fronts, first shore up the existing code base so they can get some time fix things properly.

I have done this with my customers, they have a new requirement that is going to take some serious work to get right. I will tweak the existing code base to get them going and then take some time to engineer the solution properly. Only difference is I tell them up front.

We have a saying is the computer software industry, the first 90% of the project takes 90% of the time, the rest of the project takes the other 90%.

I bet that Consumer Reports rating doesn't seem so crazy now that a number of other sources are slamming MFT.

this is why intricate software, and gadgets, and creature comforts dont mix with automobiles. instead of making cars that read your text messages to you, car manufacturers should be concentraing on making cars and trucks that can go 500k miles without your dashboard lighting up like a damn xmas tree in the process. how about making the car or truck that doesnt ever leak oil in your driveway, or doesnt have plastic timing chain tensioners. i swear, if they made that truck, nobody would care about an mp3 player, back up cameras, self parking, and cars that talk to you. but then again, im a meat and potatos kind of guy. just give me what i need. the analogy i use for all these gadgets they put in cars and trucks is when you are at a club or a bar and theres that one fat girl with all the glitter on her chest and caked up make up. instead of trying to put all that stuff on your face, why dont you just work on losing some weight? you wouldnt need all the flare. thats how i feel about cars and trucks, instead of giving me a million features i dont need, why dont you just work on the one or two things i really need.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this is why intricate software, and gadgets, and creature comforts dont mix with automobiles. instead of making cars that read your text messages to you, car manufacturers should be concentraing on making cars and trucks that can go 500k miles without your dashboard lighting up like a damn xmas tree in the process. how about making the car or truck that doesnt ever leak oil in your driveway, or doesnt have plastic timing chain tensioners. i swear, if they made that truck, nobody would care about an mp3 player, back up cameras, self parking, and cars that talk to you. but then again, im a meat and potatos kind of guy. just give me what i need. the analogy i use for all these gadgets they put in cars and trucks is when you are at a club or a bar and theres that one fat girl with all the glitter on her chest and caked up make up. instead of trying to put all that stuff on your face, why dont you just work on losing some weight? you wouldnt need all the flare. thats how i feel about cars and trucks, instead of giving me a million features i dont need, why dont you just work on the one or two things i really need.

Your joking right? Have you ever owned a vehicle from the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's era?? Talk about more oil on the driveway than in your crankcase. You were lucky to get motors to run past a 100,000 miles without it burning or leaking oil. Gaskets and seals have come a long ways since the Leave it to Beaver days. Also, reality check time, this generation is beyond having just a cigerette lighter, map light and a kleenex dispenser for bling.

Back