Just got my First Explorer.

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
Well today I just bought my first Ford Explorer, It is not my first Ford Vehicle, I had a 86' Ranger before. But I came to this site because of a few minor problems with my Explorer. I actually have a list.

1.The JBL Stereo is horrible, has no bass what so ever, Despite the fact it has a subwoofer.

2. It is missing a few interior parts, such as the front part of the seat on the passenger side, a few other pieces, but they are not so noticeable.

3. The steering seems to lock up at random points while driving down the road. It really does not lock up, but there is a slight resistance once I turn it is fine, it seems like the knuckles are worn out or something.

Other then that it works, runs, and looks fine. I would also like to learn a lot about this truck, I always like to learn all the major problems with the vehicles I own, and how to prevent, and avoid them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can always upgrade the stereo.

As for the missing parts, I just discovered http://www.lmctruck.com/
and found a lot of what I need for my 93 .

Oil changes my friend!

Good luck!

welcome to the forum.

From what I understand the factory JBL sub has always been less than impressive after several years of use.

I was scouring ebay and there is a 10" box and sub on there for $250. It fits in the factory location. There have been several write-ups on this from others doing their own replacement.

LMC truck is good, but kinda expensive on some things... I suggest going to a junkyard or two. Well that's what I enjoy doing anyway, but if there is a u-pull-it type near you, you should be able to get what you need for a decent deal. Explorers in the junkyard are pretty common (around here anyway).

welcome to the forum.

From what I understand the factory JBL sub has always been less than impressive after several years of use.

I was scouring ebay and there is a 10" box and sub on there for $250. It fits in the factory location. There have been several write-ups on this from others doing their own replacement.

LMC truck is good, but kinda expensive on some things... I suggest going to a junkyard or two. Well that's what I enjoy doing anyway, but if there is a u-pull-it type near you, you should be able to get what you need for a decent deal. Explorers in the junkyard are pretty common (around here anyway).

thank you very much, I have found out alot of info about my truck so far from reading things on the site, I did look up LMC Truck like what willisan suggested. The parts are a little bit out of my price range, so I will for sure have to goto a pick n' pull, and find the parts I need. Thanks to Obama it seems that alot of Explorers where in the Cash for Clunkers program, which is a shame, but also good because the interior parts should still be in good shape.

As for the Stereo, I am still unable to find a whole lot of info about it, I am wondering if I just replace the speakers with Walmart specials, would it sound any better, there like I said is no bass at all, it only seems like mids and highs. and for sure the sub is not working at all. It also seems to be a big PITA to get to the sub box, and amp. But hopefully I will be able to find a cheap replacement amp, which I am assuming is the problem, as for the sub, I have found many decent ones on Part Express.

Welcome

Thanks to Obama it seems that alot of Explorers where in the Cash for Clunkers program, which is a shame, but also good because the interior parts should still be in good shape.

As for the Stereo, I am still unable to find a whole lot of info about it, I am wondering if I just replace the speakers with Walmart specials, would it sound any better, there like I said is no bass at all, it only seems like mids and highs. and for sure the sub is not working at all. It also seems to be a big PITA to get to the sub box, and amp. But hopefully I will be able to find a cheap replacement amp, which I am assuming is the problem, as for the sub, I have found many decent ones on Part Express.

LOL maybe that's why there's so many explorers out here.... kinda forgot about that whole cash for clunkers scam...

Your sub/ amp assembly is behind the right rear trim panel. I found about 10 threads on the factory JBL. Go to the stock 95-01 click on search this forum and enter "factory JBL" enjoy reading.

Mostly because I don't know exactly what you need I can't send you a proper link... so I will point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

LMC is good to see the parts diagram, and what each part is called, and the cost. You can then search online, or at least know what the exact name of the part is called so if you ask around, you will know what to ask for.

You can download a pdf from LMC, or get a catalog from them. The catalog is pretty sweet. Good bathroom material :D

I replaced my speakers with some kenwoods from crutchfield.

What I got: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KFC6893/Kenwood-KFC-C6893PS.html?tp=93

They were 60 a pair bucks, but now 80. You can probably find a coupon or a discount though. I recomend crutchfield because they send all of the installation material you need, such as wireharnesses and adapters made for your specific car...which the cheapos will not...and you will end up buying the harness, etc.

They were and odd size I think 6x8, so you are limited and those walmart ones may not work.. I put a mid range head unit a nd bypasssed the amp with a special included (from crutchfield) harness, and it sounds good...but no big bass if that's what your looking for. The system sounds good to me, but I do plan on adding a sub/amp combo once i figure a way to make it take up no cargo room at all. Are you on a tight budget?

When it is time to add an amp I may try to do so in the current amp location, as long as I can make sure it is properly ventilated.

Back