I'm at my wit's end with this AC!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm at my wit's end with this AC!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a great primer on a/c troubleshooting:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/ac98.htm

If you want to fix it yourself, you need to buy a set of gauges, take readings on both sides, and go from there.

Here's a great primer on a/c troubleshooting:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/ac98.htm

If you want to fix it yourself, you need to buy a set of gauges, take readings on both sides, and go from there.

How much is that? I can't afford that...I'm in college living paycheck to paycheck. I thought it was a Godsend that I could get this fixed for a mere $35, but I should have known it was too good to be true.

I used to love this truck but it has given me nothing but problems the last couple years, not just with the AC.

Thanks for the link though. I'm going to read up on whatever I can to try and solve this problem as cheaply as possible.

No, I haven't had the chance to yet. Everything was indicative of an issue with the charging.

Check the blend door. It's free. good luck.
:banghead:

Check the blend door. It's free. good luck.
:banghead:

But I've been told that MAX AC should work with or without a broken blend door. All I ever use is MAX A/C, and it still doesn't work during the day, only at night.

If someone can confirm/deny this for me before I tear apart my dash, I'd appreciate it. Because if it's true, then my AC should still be working when on MAX, which it doesn't...meaning the blend door wouldn't be the problem. :dunno:

The blend door should also affect the heat and vent, as well as the A/C. You should be able to check if you have heat and that you can turn the heat off with the fan still running. If you have auto heat controls, then there is a way to do a system check and it will give you codes if the blend door is in-op. I don't remember exactly which buttons put it into the check mode, but there is a thread all about it. Mine was stuck on heat when I bought it. Found the plug for the blend door was unplugged. After plugging it in I had to do a system reset before it started working.

Here post #7: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219925

But I've been told that MAX AC should work with or without a broken blend door. All I ever use is MAX A/C, and it still doesn't work during the day, only at night.

If someone can confirm/deny this for me before I tear apart my dash, I'd appreciate it. Because if it's true, then my AC should still be working when on MAX, which it doesn't...meaning the blend door wouldn't be the problem. :dunno:

well IF the door doesn't work CORRECTLY, it can't stop the heat from entering the system and further, depending on where it is sitting, it will stop the AC air flow... that's what its function is supposed to do... direct air flow thru the two "components" of the air flow... ie blend... from 0-100%.

Anyways, some of your previous statements sound "funny" about the "status" of various components at various times. Of course, the other thing to check is the vacuum reserve bulb as it might be an issue that relates to the blender door "misfunctioning" because of "poor vacuum".

Well I just got back from the shop...they said it was blowing 32 degrees and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. They said to bring it back when it stops working, i.e. when it gets hot.

Oh and on the way home I checked and the AC goes smoothly from cool to heat with no issues...so I don't think that's it. Could it still be the blend door even if it's going from heat to AC at the moment? I haven't tested it when the AC isn't working...probably because the last thing I want coming out of those vents is hotter air when it's 100 degrees outside lol.

Personally, I would listen to my father ... :)

well IF the door doesn't work CORRECTLY, it can't stop the heat from entering the system and further, depending on where it is sitting, it will stop the AC air flow... that's what its function is supposed to do... direct air flow thru the two "components" of the air flow... ie blend... from 0-100%.

That makes sense - and if warm air isn't passing over the evaporator, there won't be enough heat drawn into the low side of the system, so low side will have below-normal pressure and cause the compressor to cycle.

Ok I recently had this.same problem, my.ac would.only.blow cold a night when the outside temp warm without.direct sunlight. And first.thing I.did.was.ask.the.ac tech to change the orifice tube.and vCuum out the.system and.recharge the system. Problem solved and ac is.super cold with 95 degree weather.

Hopr this helps.

Well yesterday afternoon it seemed to work alright...I don't know what the hell is up with this thing.

If it keeps working on and off I will try the blend door thing, my worry is I'm pretty inexperienced with this kind of thing and I'm a bit uneasy about cutting and messing around with stuff in there lol.

Ok I recently had this.same problem, my.ac would.only.blow cold a night when the outside temp warm without.direct sunlight. And first.thing I.did.was.ask.the.ac tech to change the orifice tube.and vCuum out the.system and.recharge the system. Problem solved and ac is.super cold with 95 degree weather.

Hopr this helps.

Yeah that's another thing I was thinking it could be...something clogged up so it can't cool properly when it gets super hot outside.

Well yesterday afternoon it seemed to work alright...I don't know what the hell is up with this thing.

If it keeps working on and off I will try the blend door thing, my worry is I'm pretty inexperienced with this kind of thing and I'm a bit uneasy about cutting and messing around with stuff in there lol.

jest cut that sucker open. You've been screwing with this thing for a while now, Your thread title states you are at your wits end.
1. grab a box cutter
2. hack open that plastic box
3. tape the blend door to the AC side
4. tape the box closed
5. enjoy your summer
6. if you get cold in the fall, tape the door to the heat side
7. don't say thanks, jest say "Yep, it was the blend door"

Stop worrying, jest do it. Worst thing that can happen is you cut your finger open.
If you are prone to cutting yourself open with sharp stuff, have your neighbors uncle cut that sucker open

The blend door being broken or malfunctioning will only affect the amount of hot/cold you experience in the cabin. If you open the hood when it is blowing hot and the condensor and lines are cold then you know the problem is likely with the blend door or or the door actuator. If the condensor and lines are not cool with the clutch engaged then you likely have a charge weight issue or an obstruction somewhere.

You mentioned back in the beginning that a lot of parts have been changed in the a/c system. What was the original reason for this? I suspect you have a compressor go bad and replaced it. If that is the case I would say there is a high likelyhood there is a metal fragment lodged somewhere in the system (very likely the drier since it has some space in it and is first place high pressure lines run after leaving the compressor) which moves just enough under pressure to cause temporary blockage.

Does anybody know if these systems have a thermostat like the older(1977 GMC, Ford) systems. That is the only thing that hasn't been mentioned here. The thermostat was (is) located on the evaporator.

If you have auto heater, it has a self diagnostic function that will give you codes on what is wrong with it, including the blend door. No cutting needed to check it.

well the test for the head unit is

1. Press and hold the OFF button
2. Press FLOOR while still holding OFF
3. Release both buttons
4. Immediately press AUTOMATIC (within 2 seconds)

it takes about a minute to get through and you see a line going in a circular motion while it tests itself, the trouble codes are listed at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/17 near the bottom of the page. although the self test is not always accurate, it works i would say 85% of the time (based of my install of an EATC system going through several components)

May take a couple tries to get it to start, but keep at it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3. tape the blend door to the AC side
4. tape the box closed
5. enjoy your summer
6. if you get cold in the fall, tape the door to the heat side

Probably works great in MN, but down here in FL we have winter days where you need heat and A/C in the same day!

Back