• Register Today It's free!

02 Sport Trac tranny problems

Trackster

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
I just got it for 2 weeks and all of a sudden, the O/D light is flashing, shifts heavily between gears and slips and when I put it in reverse, I feel it engaged in reverse but just won't back up. I checked the fluid and the color is fine and no burning smell at all. I was thinking it could be the the solenoid switch pack in the tranny. I do need some suggestions from someone who had the same problems before bringing it to the dealer or a shop and paying high bills and still having the same problems not too long after I would get it fix.:rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 02 which had the O/D light blinking on me once about 3 years ago. I took it in and had a trans service done. They checked everything out and said they didn't find any problems. They did say that sometimes the solenoid causes that problem.

I did my research and lots of people had the similar problem. I think I should do a flush as well, put a new filter /oil and the new solenoid. My wife love the vehicle so much that she wants to keep it. Actually, I like it too. I think it's worth to put some money into it. I wonder why Ford didn't put any recalls on that tranny. :thumbsup:

That sounds like a good course of action to me. Check the pan and filter for excessive metal pieces, but mine didn't have any. Hope it works out for you. I've got 145,000 miles on my transmission so far.

Thanx for the advice, I will do that before the end of the week... I used an OBDII scanner to check any codes coming from the vehicle. I got this: P0720. I did some research and some guys said that they changed the OSS sensor (output shaft speed sensor), flushed the tranny and the problem was solved...but some still had the same problem and decided to go for a full rebuilt. I will go buy that sensor at the dealer tomorrow and install it first and see what happens. I forgot to say that the vehicle has 160,000 miles on it already. I will give you the updates BWheetley.

Back