What is this switch for? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is this switch for?

SeekerFor

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford explorer Eddie
On the dash of my 2003 EX Eddie Bauer Limited there is a switch to the left of the steering wheel that has a light that says "OFF"
If I push it twice the light goes out for awhile.
I have read the manual a number of times but can't find what it's for.
There is a "P" on it with arrows or something pointing to a triangle or something.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

umm. Hazard lights? can you post a picture?

That is the reverse parking system cutoff switch. Basically, if when backing up and you want to turn off the backup sensors (the knubs on the rear bumper) that button disables it until the next key cycle.

That is the reverse parking system cutoff switch. Basically, if when backing up and you want to turn off the backup sensors (the knubs on the rear bumper) that button disables it until the next key cycle.

Ya, that button turns off the backup sensor. The switch resets everytime you stop and restart the vehicle.

I've never seen the point of turning the sensor off. During rainy or snowy conditions it'll beep randomly when nothings behind me but I've never found it to be a problem. When something's actually behind you the sensor will beep steadily, which is easily distinguishable from random beeps.

It's great for when when concentrating on backing up your boat trailer you can turn the noise off. Use that switch a lot.

I turn mine off when I have my bike rack mounted as the rack blocks the sensors sets off the audio alert.

The switch in my '03 EB resets each time I change from R to D. A real pain when "practice-backing" my ATV trailer!

Ditto on shutting it off when you have a trailer on.

Back