Any advice on talking the girlfriend out of a '11 JGC and into an Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any advice on talking the girlfriend out of a '11 JGC and into an Explorer?

spotdog14

Reaction score
City, State
East Lansing, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
My girlfriend is looking for a new vehicle to lease and has always done Grand Cherokees (besides her current Charger), anyways I have been hyping the new Explorer a lot and we finally went and test drove an XLT with the MFT as well as a Laredo Grand Cherokee.

She thinks that the MFT is to complicated and since Ford is not offering any incentives to lease (or really to buy for that matter) she is 80% in the column of the JGC. Anyone have any ideas on how I could persuade her?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't

AFTER HEARING OF ALL THE PROBLEMS WITH THE '11 YM. I WOULDN'T TRY TO PERSUADE A GIRLFRIEND THAT ALREADY IS FAVORING A DIFFERENT SUV. SOMETHING GOES WRONG AND THEN IT BECOMES "YOUR FAULT'" I'm sad to say this but I'm an older fellow that had always driven Fords {probably about 12 of them}, I still drive an Ex and a Ford tractor. But after all the headaches that my Ex has given me, and thousands of dollars of repairs, Thats all for me regarding Fords.

I would wait for the 12 Explorer to come out, it should have some better upgrades to the problems existing in the 11 units. I would not persuade her to buy something that a lot of people are complaining about. I love Fords, but the 11 just seems like a headache for a good bit of folks. I can't go by my own experience because I have none with the 11 but browse the 11 forum for yourself.

My girlfriend is looking for a new vehicle to lease and has always done Grand Cherokees (besides her current Charger), anyways I have been hyping the new Explorer a lot and we finally went and test drove an XLT with the MFT as well as a Laredo Grand Cherokee.

She thinks that the MFT is to complicated and since Ford is not offering any incentives to lease (or really to buy for that matter) she is 80% in the column of the JGC. Anyone have any ideas on how I could persuade her?

Better gas mileage. The Jeep gets 16/22, Explorer is 19/25

Explorer has adjustable peddles - looks like the JGC does not. Explorer has 2nd row bucket seat option - JGC does not. And my favorite - Explorer has an auto park feature that will automatically find and parallel park your vehicle.

And my favorite - Explorer has an auto park feature that will automatically find and parallel park your vehicle.

If someone can't parallel park their own vehicle then they shouldn't be driving :p:

Man... Get an Explorer. It was very spacious in the backseat with my girlfriend and I in there. Better gas mileage, better privacy glass. The mood lights make it better. Don't buy one and you'll regret it. Smoked a Grand Cherokee the other day too.

Probably not. You've seen the sticker-

2239211426_52755d19af.jpg

MFT will be complicated for a week, you'll own an Explorer for years.
JGC has nothing new, and you'll be stuck with boring for years.

Incentives mean you need help selling a vehicle. Jeep needs help. Ford does not. You need to justify the value of the vehicle, not just the initial cost. What is the cost difference? Ford will have have a lot better resale value in 5 years, and the Jeep will fall flat, since there isn't really anything special about it.

But, if she's always had Jeep, I'd let her have another one. That way it's not your fault, and lets be honest- if things fall apart, she's still stuck with the vehicle.

:D

I'd wait for the '12's to come out then have her drive them back-to-back. Unless she is willing to sacrifice a lot for the Hemi or she needs to tow more than 5,ooo pounds, she may decide the Explorer is much more enjoyable.

Having both, I'm telling you: GO WITH THE GC! MFT is a dissaster. You're not gonna love the Jeep.

Buddy let her get what she wants you don't want her to say it was your fualt!! But the explorer is much better !!!

I agree, way to likely she will have issues and blame you. Those of us that want the Explorer are far more likely to put up with or over look some annoyances but she wont!

Your next post could read " My Ex Girlfriends Explorer Is In The Shop Again!"

I'd say let her get what she wants....

But, my opinion..... Leasing is a waste.

Buy what appreciates, lease what depreciates... :)

But, they've figured out how to suck every penny out of you. I remember when I leased a '93 Ranger brand new, new body style. With the new 24 month red carpet lease terms and Ford employee discount, my lease was $68 per month. My insurance was $73. What a crock... :D

I am slowly starting to hate Mopar. So the GC that she is getting does not have a trailer hitch ($780 for Mopar) and you HAVE to get the Mopar roof cross bars in order to fit anything on it thats another $500. Why are Mopar accessories so damn expensive?

Did you really think that they wouldn't get the money somehow? They're not going to leave money on the table...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Better gas mileage. The Jeep gets 16/22, Explorer is 19/25

Explorer has adjustable peddles - looks like the JGC does not. Explorer has 2nd row bucket seat option - JGC does not. And my favorite - Explorer has an auto park feature that will automatically find and parallel park your vehicle.

OK let's at least be honest about this - GC is 16/22 with AWD/4WD the Ex is 19/25 with FWD/2WD and when the EX is equipped with AWD/4WD the difference becomes miniscule. Also most if not all of the review sites seem to test the GC at pretty close to the EPA numbers - The same sites seem to show the Ex as "not so much"..... Also the GC has a 24.7 gal tank as opposed to an 18.6.... giving it longer range.

there are plenty of reasons to buy an Ex over a GC but the ones you cite are not it.... Also IIRc you are comparing a base GC (Laredo) to a full on EX (Ltd)

Back