4.6L Died on Interstate - Help w Codes! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.6L Died on Interstate - Help w Codes!

tjgorn01

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Aviator & Mntr AWD 4.6
Was cruising along at about 75mph on the interstate when my 4.6L AWD Aviator started to not keep up to speed and not react to gas pedal. Then started running very rough and then just died. Luckily I was able to get off the road. Both CEL and Check transmission came on. Ran codes after it was towed home and received:
P0300 - Random Misfire
P0174 - Bank 2 too lean
P0745 - Pressure Control Solenoid A

Withe Key on Engine off test I get:
P0660 - Intake Manifold tuning valve control circuit open - Bank 1

Was able to get it to start and run for a minute or so and with the Key on Engine On test I got:
P0505 - Idle Air Control System and the P0660 again

Any ideas? Fuel pump?

Just completed a 2000 mile trip a day and a half ago and it ran like a dream....

New info: borrowed fuel pressure guage from Auto Zone. No fuel pressure at all when I turn the key to the on position and do not hear the pump running. Also - fuse good. Swapped relays - makes no difference. No noise at all when initially turning key on.... Slowly talking myself into the fuel pump even more.... Actually slowly talking myself into having someone else replace the pump....

It sounds like multiple problems. I'm no expert, but ran into a similar fuel problem on a Ranger with a 302 conversion we did. It ultimately turned out to be a bad fuel pump, but you might want to try a few things. There may be a fuel pump test point near the center of the firewall (that's where it is on the Ranger). Yours may not have one, since I believe you have a returnless fuel system. If you do, attach a wire from the positive pole on the battery to the test point and the fuel pump will run (hot-wired). Since you had the car towed, sometimes all the tilting and jostling could trip the inertia switch which disables the fuel pump. On most Fords, it is located behind the passenger side front kick panel. If the red button is out, push it in to reset it.

All your other codes, I suppose, could be due to intermittent operation and then failure of the fuel pump, but it usually works or it doesn't. You might also want to check out the ECU for malfunction.

Of course, it could be none of the above, so good luck.

It was definitely the fuel pump. Replaced and working fine!

Back