Transmission installation problem on a 1998 Ford Explorer. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission installation problem on a 1998 Ford Explorer.

the center sticks out avout an inche or less but the tc bolts are below the bellhousing could it just b the angle im going at?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dont think that is the problem i think im just not going at the right angle and its pulling the tc out, if any one still has any suggestions shoot em at me wanna get the damn thing done!!!

If the torque converter sticks out past the front edge of the bell housing, that is your problem, it should be inside the bell housing by 1/2 inch. You must have the center shaft in backwards, which doesn't let the torque converter go into the trans. You haven't you corrected the problem, if you don't it will never go in.
Read page 106 and 116 of the ATSG manual, bottom left where it shows how to properly put the center shaft in the trans.
Also look at the picture on page 117, bottom left, where it shows the torque converter properly installed in the transmission.

Attachments

• Converter space 07-02-2011 06;58;31AM.jpg
    Converter space 07-02-2011 06;58;31AM.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 373

thanks man i appreciate it im guessing that is the problem, but when i drop the tc in it goes in once then i spin it clockwise and it drops in a second time but pilot still sticks out, i bought the trans used from a junk yard how can the center shaft b in backwards?

If the trans is tilted with out the torque converter, the shaft falls right out, or when the torque converter is taken off the trans, the shaft may stick to the torque converter and again falls off. It's very common for the salvage yard guy, who doesn't know, to pick up the shaft and stick it in backwards. The splines look the same on each end but are different, if you can't pull the shaft out with your fingers, it is jammed in backwards.

Read this post, the answer is towards the end, your not the only one who has had this problem and there have been others.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274525

thanks for all the help, finally figured out what the problem was, the center shaft wasnt fully seated in to the trans must of been from when the junkyard removed the trans from the truck, center shaft is seated correctly and now the tc is seated correctly which was my problem.

Good to hear you found the problem, let us know how it turns out.

transmission is in, was one of the hardest transmissions ive ever done but does any one know how to spin the torque converter to tighten the tc nuts?

Put a large socket on the bolt in the center of the crank pulley, be sure to only turn in the same direction that the engine turns or possible damage to the chain tighteners can happen.

im guessing i have to take the fan out in order to turn the crank pully?

No you don't, you turn it from under neath.

No you don't, you turn it from under neath.

Try a 19mm deep well impact on a 1/2" breaker bar...if you are crafty, you can exploit the pivoting action of the bar to sneak the socket in without even removing the shroud.

ok cool thanks had it running today but didnt get a chance to let it warm up to drive because the battery died on me, was running it with open headers so it kept stalling every couple minutes! got it on a trickle charger now better luck tomorrow, do ihave to let it run for a little bit before i can drive?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back