• Register Today It's free!

clunk sound.. pedal vibrates??

Abrego702

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ex XLT
Took my 2011 Explorer XLT 2kmi to the dealer due to a clunk sound?? As soon as I pull of my driveway put it in drive 5 seconds later a clunk sound like and axle sound and the gas pedal vibrates like something activates?? Its sounds like its coming from the front left. Idk. And the streaks on the windows and the clock and hr. ahead everytime. They took care of the windows but they don't know where the clunk sound is coming from and they said its not normal. So they have to run another sound test. This sucks. Anybody have this problem I never noticed it until my wife told me, since she drives the truck most of the times.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All ABS systems perform a diagnostic self-check when the vehicle is first put in motion. The 2011 Ford Explorer owners manual describes this on page 275 as the following:

When AdvanceTrac with RSC performs a normal system self-check,
some drivers may notice a slight movement of the brake, and/or a
rumble, grunting, or grinding noise after startup and when driving off.

Since what you described is repeatable, and since it occurs each time you start your vehicle, and when first driving off, it could be the normal self-diagnotic check of the ABS/Advance Trac system. This is a normal sound.

Google "ABS self check noise" and you will find most ABS equipped vehicles perform the same operation resulting in various noises during that self-check.

Do you have 4WD? I notice that the power going to the rear axles get cut off after a certain amount of acceleration/speed which was the huge clunk I heard. Rumbling at the accelerator happens consistently though throughout, especially turns.

It can be my abs check up like he said in the first reply, but the clunk?? And the dealer said it ain't a normal sound. It's a 2wd.

I notice the same thing, there was another thread on this a while back. I think the abs check is exactly what this is, nothing to worry about. I think most dealers are clueless.

Why do we have to put off every issue with a semi-fitting explanation as being normal. Are we lying to ourselves? No, that sound is not normal. It's a noise and something is wrong. Just because it's inconvenient to deal with it, it's still a problem.

Well, because it actual says it's normal in the manual. What else can we assume?

To me a clunk could be characterized as a grunt, rumble or grinding sound.

Why do we have to put off every issue with a semi-fitting explanation as being normal. Are we lying to ourselves? No, that sound is not normal. It's a noise and something is wrong. Just because it's inconvenient to deal with it, it's still a problem.

We're not in his vehicle, so we can't hear what he's hearing, but from what the poster stated his noise coincides with the normal ABS Diagnosis self check.

1) the noise happens when the vehicle is first started
2) the noise happens as the vehicle first moves
3) can be felt in the pedals

That matches the ABS self check noice:

When AdvanceTrac with RSC performs a normal system self-check,
some drivers may notice a slight movement of the brake, and/or a
rumble, grunting, or grinding noise after startup and when driving off.

An ABS self-check noise is normal and it should make a noise when its performing the self-check. The system checks the sensors on each wheel as they rotate, and then activates the ABS pump which groans and grunts and shakes the pedal. If you have ever activated the ABS system during braking, the sounds and vibrations are similar but to a different scale.

The Explorer has a much more sophisticated ABS/ESC/RSC/Curve Control/Trailer Sway system than most vehicles and probably makes more checks than other vehicles.

All vehicles with ABS do a self check.

For example:

NISSAN VEHICLES:
Date: June 10, 2010

ABS SELF CHECK NOISE

APPLIED VEHICLES: All Nissan Vehicles with ABS or ABS/VDC

SERVICE INFORMATION

If you identify:

^ Clicking, knocking, clunking, buzzing, or thumping noise coming from the engine compartment area; and

^ The noise occurs only once during the first few seconds of driving at approximately 16 MPH; and

^ The noise occurs only once per ignition cycle (ignition OFF > ON) and does not occur again until the ignition is cycled.

NOTE:
The noise may be louder after the vehicle has not been operated for a prolonged period of time.

The above condition is normal and does not need repair.

Each time the ignition is turned on and the vehicle is driven at about 16 mph, the ABS/VDC system performs a "Self-Check" to confirm components of the ABS/VDC system are operating correctly.

This "Self-Check" function creates the noise described above.

If the brakes are being applied when the "Self-Check" occurs, a vibration may be felt in the brake pedal and an increased level of noise may be noticed.

NOTE: ^ Refer customers to the Owners Manual, Section 5, Starting and driving, Brake system on the Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS). The "Self-test feature" section provides additional explanation.

^ The speeds described above refer specifically to Versa, Sentra, Altima, and Maxima. However, any vehicle fitted with ABS or ABS/VDC will have a "Self-Check" which is triggered in similar circumstances.

===========
Manufacturer: HONDA
Subject: ABS GRUNTS WHEN DOING A SELF- CHECK
Vehicle Involved: Honda Accord, Civic, Pilot, CR-V

Repair Procedure: If the owner of a vehicle equipped with a “compact” integrated ABS system complains of hearing a grunt or groan when backing or moving the vehicle forward after it’s been sitting idle, it may be the ABS system doing a self-check. An integrated system is composed of a modulator valve body, a pump, and an accumulator all rolled into one assembly, it is designed to self-check when the vehicle is moved forward or backward after sitting. So the grunt sound is normal; it does not indicate a problem with the ABS system.

============
Toyota: http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-general-discussion/85340-vcs-abs-self-check-noise-whatever-thay-call.html

I've been wanting to go test drive another explorer, just to see if they all do it. It's the only way to find out for myself. The noise really doesn't bother me. But it doesn't sound normal at all.

I've been wanting to go test drive another explorer, just to see if they all do it. It's the only way to find out for myself. The noise really doesn't bother me. But it doesn't sound normal at all.
Like GregV8 said, I’d like to offer my help with looking into this noise for you. Would you mind sending me a private message with your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name? I’ll do everything I can to assist.

Vic, thank you for taking the time to post those details.

Cory

My wife got a call from the dealer and they said, that they found something wrong with the air spacers on the cell frame?? And have to order like 6-7 parts to replace. I'm a little lost on this so I will call the dealer myself back tomorrow. As for the pedal vibrating, its normal, is part of the abs. VIC you were right. Does anybody know what their talking about. I was at work when they called. Thanks Cory I will send info.

My wife got a call from the dealer and they said, that they found something wrong with the air spacers on the cell frame?? And have to order like 6-7 parts to replace. I'm a little lost on this so I will call the dealer myself back tomorrow. As for the pedal vibrating, its normal, is part of the abs. VIC you were right. Does anybody know what their talking about. I was at work when they called. Thanks Cory I will send info.
You’re welcome. I’ll reply as soon as I can once I receive your PM.

Cory

Was your issue resolved? If so, what did they end up replacing? thks, rch

Just finished a 500 mile drive this weekend. First time ever, i began noticing what to me sounded like a "thump" or what could be described only as a bang when the car accelerated from a dead stop or at low speeds . Kind od like what it would sounded and felt like if something round in a box and tipped to the side. Does it repeatedly but sounds different from what people are talking about on this thread. Anyone else experiencing this?

Ill add this to the list of a dozen things when the truck goes in

Black Mounty said:
Just finished a 500 mile drive this weekend. First time ever, i began noticing what to me sounded like a "thump" or what could be described only as a bang when the car accelerated from a dead stop or at low speeds . Kind od like what it would sounded and felt like if something round in a box and tipped to the side. Does it repeatedly but sounds different from what people are talking about on this thread. Anyone else experiencing this?

Ill add this to the list of a dozen things when the truck goes in

Yes! Just started noticing, after around 7,000 miles. I have no idea what it is...

Got my explorer back for the 3rd time. Checked by a Ford engineer this time. The truck still makes clunk ( popping ) sounds when turning and reversing. I'm do dissapointed. They tightened everything in the front end. And nothing. I don't know what else to do.

To those who have been experiencing this, I can assist you by escalating the concern. I am on vacation tomorrow and will be out of the office, but if you send me a PM with your contact information, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, I will send you a reply on Thursday.

Cory

2011 EXP Limited Faint pop after driving 10 feet

So like clock work my 2011 EXP Limited makes this faint clunk/pop sound from the front end EVERY time I shift into drive within the first five to ten feet of driving. It only happens after the car is in park, shifted into drive, and driven. After the first clunk, the noise does not come back driving around until I park the car, shut it off, and come back later. This is a faint sound but since I anticipate it, I hear it every time. My family and local dealer can not hear it. I plan to go on a test drive with the mechanic my self to help point it out. I have been an auto mechanic for several years for VW in my college years and have a good ear for unusual sounds but I have no experience with this vehicle to say what the sound is. Any hints would help. Thanks!

So like clock work my 2011 EXP Limited makes this faint clunk/pop sound from the front end EVERY time I shift into drive within the first five to ten feet of driving. It only happens after the car is in park, shifted into drive, and driven. After the first clunk, the noise does not come back driving around until I park the car, shut it off, and come back later. This is a faint sound but since I anticipate it, I hear it every time. My family and local dealer can not hear it. I plan to go on a test drive with the mechanic my self to help point it out. I have been an auto mechanic for several years for VW in my college years and have a good ear for unusual sounds but I have no experience with this vehicle to say what the sound is. Any hints would help. Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
What you are hearing could very well be the ABS system charging up.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356713&highlight=abs

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That would make sense^

My first thought was could it be the door locks locking when you drive off. Figured maybe they've quieted down since my 3rd gen and if someone wasn't used to that, then it would be confusing.

Back