Wrecked my driver side front end.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wrecked my driver side front end....

Hey guys,

Today I took my 'ploder out with my buddy and his Wrangler. The mud we were in was peanut buttery. Long story short, my car slide into a wooden pole, and destroyed my (all driver side parts) headlight, front fender, slightly bent the outside of my bumper bracket from frame(the outside lip), chrome around grille seemed to split at the break it has, dented the corner of my hood, and my front side of my door is pinched in a bit.

Not sure how exactly I am going to fix it, but I do believe I am going to fix it and probably save up for a new car. I was looking at parts on rockauto, and it looks like I will be spending around $600 in parts alone.

Anyone have advice on how I should have this fixed properly? I can install all parts myself (I have faith in my ability) or any general advise on the procedure or even a funny comment (I could use a good laugh about now)

Time to get a REAL job that can actually support my needs/wants in life. My Explorer (and any car I ever own) is and will always be one of them.

Luckily, the car still runs as good as it did before the mishap.

PICS!!!!
Right after it happened.
k224qg.jpg

After taking off bumper and fender(so I could open driver side door)
2djz6ds.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh man, that's about $150 worth of junkyard parts up here in maine.

About $250 in new parts from CERTIFIT and there's a store near Tampa. They have good parts and I use them on my own vehicles.

Do they have parts on hand or will they more than likely have to order them? I'd like to drive to the one near Tampa on Tuesday, and see what they can do for me.

They usually have everything in their catalog. You could call them though. They have stores all over the east coast.

I have decided that I am going to trade in my Explorer once I get it repaired. I am not sure if I want to buy the parts from CERTIFIT, because they seem to have the lowest prices (thanks :D), and install them myself, or take it to a shop and have them fix it. I know the labor will be bulk of the cost.

I would like to have it fixed ASAP, as anyone would, but I need it in the best condition for trade in value. Any tips? I would love to trade it in as is, but I know I won't get over $300 for it and they car runs great. Maybe sell as is online instead of trade it in?

Anyone have input on this? I would appreciate it.

I juts got back from the junkyard and got a new fender and grill with driver side headlights. The explorer I got it off of was red. I wasn't sure if I should paint the parts myself, or just mount the parts on and drive with the mismatched color until I can afford a decent paint job. I wouldn't mind new paint all around and start with a fresh, swirl free paint job. I have tried claybaring and the swirls are very stubborn.

I have a pretty decent spray gun (painted my jetski 3 months ago) so I could do it myself, but I have no skill on blending the colors with the rest of my car.

What would you do?

Clay bars will not remove swirls. Use a high speed orbital polisher with some decent cutting and finishing polishes. The finish will look like new, especially when you remove the topmost layer of "dead" clear coat.

Did someone mention polishing? :shifty_ey

Plane fare to Florida...

If it was winter, I'd be all over it! lol!

Back