1996 XLT 4.0L 4WD automatic starter removal. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 XLT 4.0L 4WD automatic starter removal.

san57

Reaction score
City, State
hartville, mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT 4WD
My friend has the above car. Trying to replace starter but xfer case is just below it. Not enough room to get to top bolts and no room to pull starter if we get bolts out.. Does xfer case have to be rmvd or does engine have to be jacked up? TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no. you should just be able to unbolt the starter and pull it out, you should disconnect the battery before removing the starter. can you take a pic, cause i have done many starters on these trucks and and having a hard time believing what you are saying.

I wish it was as easy as you say. Bottom bolt & hot wire easy to get to. On top two bolts you can just get socket on with a swivel & extension but not enough torque to break loose because of swivel. Have not worked on this for couple days because of time. Also no fun laying on your back with sweat running in your eyes lol! I did see on the web another guy told how he did this. He said hole in frame to get socket through and when loose pull starter up through engine compartment. Is that how you did it? Will have to take another look at this. Oh yea, 90 min of his time was spent swearing at the car!!! Thanks.

Best thing would be to get your hands on a starter wrench. As an alternative, two combination wrenches in "The Sex" mode will work. YMMV

OK, guys. A third guy came over and he did use 2 comb. wrenches in the "sex" mode. I still didn't think he could get the bolts loose but all of a sudden I heard a "pop" and one was loose and he did get the motor out from the bottom. Amazing, at least to me it was. Haven't got the new one yet but now know it will go back in. Thank you all for the help.

Dennis

Back