• Register Today It's free!

Weapon Type-R Performance Intake

mattd08

Reaction score
City, State
Bristol, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
Just got done installing my Weapon Type-R Dragon intake. I noticed that no one on this site had installed this CAI so i decided to order it and give it a shot. I purchased mine from Ebay for $128 and the Weapon website has them for around $150. It was fairly simple to install with the instructions that came with it, and it included all parts, etc. that was needed to install it. I think it was a pretty good deal for a CAI. I havent done much driving with it installed but i did notice more sound in my exhaust and a nice "whistle" sound coming from the engine as well (so im thinking maybe a few HP gain as well). It was a pretty tight fit installing the intake, but i love how it turned out. Feel free to ask any questions, thanks.

003-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

001-1.jpg

wesbite link: http://www.secretweaponperformance.com/product/Dragon-Intakes/Default.aspx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The filter element on this seems "small" as to the surface area. Is this an oil impregnated element? What is the cleaning schedule for it?

It certainly looks good and hopefully will give some increase to power or mileage.

let me know what gains you get from this CAI... i have a cheap intake that i got off ebay for like $50 last year cause I hacked up my stock box and didnt like the DIY mod so i just went with the cheap one with the chrome pipe and blue air filter.. u probably seen it when looking up intakes on ebay... i saw the weapon r on there not to long ago and was considering it... Looks hella better then the blue POS ive got under the hood..
So let me know how it turns out for you.. Cause the price is right and u cant beat that

by the looks of that engine bay im guessing you have the v6? is there a noticable difference from the hack-it-up airbox mod?

The filter element on this seems "small" as to the surface area. Is this an oil impregnated element? What is the cleaning schedule for it?

It certainly looks good and hopefully will give some increase to power or mileage.

Maybe in the picture it seems small, but i could be wrong. I think its a pretty good size for the job its doing. As for it being oil impregnated im not sure at the moment, but the cleaning schedule for this filter is every 3000 miles.

let me know what gains you get from this CAI... i have a cheap intake that i got off ebay for like $50 last year cause I hacked up my stock box and didnt like the DIY mod so i just went with the cheap one with the chrome pipe and blue air filter.. u probably seen it when looking up intakes on ebay... i saw the weapon r on there not to long ago and was considering it... Looks hella better then the blue POS ive got under the hood..
So let me know how it turns out for you.. Cause the price is right and u cant beat that

Yes i do know which intakes your talking about. I didnt know if those were worth having, how do you like yours? I can tell a definite difference in sound coming from the vehicle and seems to have some more power but i dont have a scanguage to confirm that for sure. But i think the website said 7-12 HP gain.

by the looks of that engine bay im guessing you have the v6? is there a noticable difference from the hack-it-up airbox mod?

Yes, i do have the V6 engine. And i have never done the hack-it-up airbox mod so i dont know how it would compare to this one. I know that this intake does breathe in ALOT of air and sounds like its doing a good job so i give it a :thumbsup:

it does seem a little small at least the filter compared to my k&n, and i believe all aftermarket "CAI" are all the same...

as for 7 to 12HP... think again but it def adds some power in the top end, i have the k&n CAI, and exhaust.... with 5.5" lift and bigger tires 3.55 gears and smoked my buddy's 4.6L X (on the highway)

I don't know about the filter size but it definitely looks cool!

Thanks guys! I guess the filter is small compared to others...

looking good keep up good work

Thats definately a diffferent look air filter. I like the set-up! Keep up the good work.

Look's awesome, good stuff!!!

Thanks for the input guys!

Matt, that thing looks pretty good!! I did some research on this and it seems they are getting bad reviews on the web. These reviews are very old though so I don't know if they have rectified their deficiencies. Please keep us posted as this thing intrigues me! :thumbsup:

Thanks - Rondo

The maybe 3-5 HP gain will be negated by the lost low end torque. I am not a fan of CAI's on stock vehicles. They do more harm them good IMO.

But they sound cool.

Matt, that thing looks pretty good!! I did some research on this and it seems they are getting bad reviews on the web. These reviews are very old though so I don't know if they have rectified their deficiencies. Please keep us posted as this thing intrigues me! :thumbsup:

Thanks - Rondo

Thanks, Rondo. I tried to do some research on this before i bought it but could not find absolutely anything. So, i figured why not try and buy this intake and see what results i get. I dont have any regrets so far, and compared to the stock intake its 10 times better in my opinion. Thanks!

The maybe 3-5 HP gain will be negated by the lost low end torque. I am not a fan of CAI's on stock vehicles. They do more harm them good IMO.

But they sound cool.

What harm do you see in them?

Thanks man! :D:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What harm do you see in them?

Performance wise the "harm" is the loss of low end torque. IMO the few extra horses, if any, on the top end is not worth the trade off.

Physically, the harm is the contaminants that these types of filters allow into the engine compared to a stock paper filter. The same thing that allows them to "flow" better is the same thing that lets more dirt and debris into the engine.

If you had your oil tested before and after installing a high flow filter you would see the difference. I am not saying this will for sure hurt your engine, but I dont like dirt in my engine if I can avoid it.

And to be clear I am talking about stock engines. If you are doing your intake, exhaust, tune, some real HP gains, then yes, a high flow filter will help. Still get your engine dirty, but you WILL gain performance.

Back