A/C recharge

mhallack

Reaction score
City, State
Rockland, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Allright,

I'd like to do an AC recharge myself and I know there are refill kits out there. I've never done this before. I've looked at the AC unit myself and snapped these two pics. The part that is circled, is this where I screw in the charging unit in? I am only asking because in the Haynes manual, it is not very clear about this. I am assuming it needs recharging because it only blows air the same temperature as the regular air temperature. Thanks.

ac001.jpg

ac002.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

as long as there is an L on that cap you are good to go..... but as many people on here say let a pro look at your ac system first. Many shops will offer free ac testing and then go from there. I just bought a large can of the ready to use R134-a last week and followed the instructions and my air is cold cold COLD! Good luck.

I'm buying a a/c kit tomorrow and will inquire with the store (Autozone) if they aren't sure (and they are a helpful bunch there) I know a good shop that will help me out. :thumbsup:

OK,

Got it re-charged myself, with some help from a local shop, but still blows out hot air. Not only that, the video will show here that the AC is trying to engage but doesn't. I took the video cause at times I have a hard time explaining what's going on. If you need to ask me anything else I will, but what does the audience think? (Sorry for the crappy audio)

Edit: Figured it out, still didn't have enough coolant.

how much A/c refrig did it take?

I saw that at Autozone too. But I finally got it all charged up, took 4 cans of the stuff, but now it runs perfect and is colder than Maine in mid-January when cranked up at full blast. Though it was a fairly easy job, I still feel triumphant at doing this myself, though I did get help here and the Hayne's manual. :thumbsup:

Back