03 XLT--problem with cruise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 XLT--problem with cruise

JasoninSC

Reaction score
I purchased a used 03 XLT 4x4 about a month ago. It has been perfect so far with one problem.

Cruise is not working very well. I have hit it a few times at lower speeds and it would work. I have had it work one time on interstate at 70mph, but 90% of the time it does not work. The cruise light comes on but when I hit "Set" it does nothing.

Any input about this? I drive the interstate a good bit and really like that feature

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The cruise light comes on but when I hit "Set" it does nothing

I actually have the same thing. 03 XLT, and the cruise control is a bit finicky.

My question for you: You stated that when the light comes on, nothing happens? When my light is on, it means cruise control is ENGAGED. Not ready, but actually currently working. So if your light is on and it isn't working, it's the cruise control itself. Now, if when you hit set and the light comes on and goes right off, or refuses to go on, it is trying to tell you something is keeping it from engaging. The reason I say this is:

My cruise was so testy, I couldn't get it on at all. Finally I get it into the shop. New brakes, rotors, and tires were due (OUCH! That was some $$$) and now it drives like a dream. Hit the button one time and that's all it takes.

So, if you are feeling any vibration in the steering or brake, you may need to brakes or tires which is making the cruise control operation difficult.

Not sure if these things are SUPPOSED to be related, but they were for ME. That's all I can speak for.

Hope that helps!

Did any of you get your Explorers checked about the recall with the cruise control?
There's a switch on the top of the brake cylinder that senses when you apply the brakes and that turns the cruise control off.
My cruise control worked only when it felt like it for years, but I replaced the switch for no more than $20 and it works flawlessly. Just make sure you're hitting "On", than hitting "Cruise."

Start by checking the brake fluid level. If it its low on fluid, the cruise won't work. If the fluid level checks out, then as KPPCExplorer said, it could be the switch mounted on the brake master cylinder.

Good luck with the fix. :biggthump

On mine it was that switch. Operation was intermittent, then failed altogether. Replaced the switch and all is well.

Hey guys,

I have had some intermittent cruise control problems, and was wondering if mine fit in with the switch problem. My problem mainly is it working or not. Just recently sometimes it turns on (and lights up on the dash) and other's it doesn't. I checked for bad fuses, making sure they all are seated properly along with the wiring harnesses both under the dash and in the engine compartment. Both times I did this, the cruise works for some time, and then it just doesn't turn on. Could be the switch? I'll start by checking the brake fluid level.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Scott

Replacing that switch fixed the exact same issues on mine. My cruise eventually stopped working altogether before I replaced that switch.

Back