Need assistance diagnosing rear wiper problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need assistance diagnosing rear wiper problem

Dave S

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Mill, South Carolina/ Charlotte.....home of Nascar
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 AWD
I have a 2000 Explorer and my rear wiper will not operate. I have looked at a number of threads on this subject and while they were somewhat helpful I really don't have all the information I need to troubleshoot this problem properly. (I knew I should have bought that shop manual.........but I didn't:()

First off the washer still works and I can hear a click in the motor when the switch is first turned on. I want to check the fuse (it's probably OK) and then the relays. The problem I have is I don't know which of the fuses to check or which relays control the wiper. Since I have read other threads giving all kinds of information that differs from what I see in my fuse/relay box, I have attached a picture of it. Can anyone tell me which fuse to check and which relays control the rear wiper motor?

DSC08623.jpg

As I understand it there are two relays (one for up and the other for down) . Can they be switched to test the circuit? How does one diagnose the problem back at the motor to make sure the motor is getting the right signals?

I'd rather not just start throwing parts at this problem if I don't have to so any help I can get on this one will be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, you can swap the relays, they're identical. In your picture, the rear wiper relays are the two in the bottom right, with the white chalk mark. (At least, that's where they're at on my '98) You may find that just by pulling the relays out and putting them back in will "clean " them enough to reestablish contact. Worked for me

Tom

great advice! i've had this same problem for almost a year now. even tried putting a new motor to it. just messed with those relays and viola! its fixed. on a side note tho, my motor was jammed and i actually had to activate the motor and kinda 'help' (force) it to turn, but once it was unjammed it now works like a champ.

the rear wiper on my 01 sticks. i usually have to go back to the rear of the vehicle and help get it started. then it works fine. until i open the rear hatch, then the next time i need to use it i need to give it a little help to get started

interesting sporty... i just fixed mine 20 minutes ago but i wouldn't be suprised if i have that same issue. the fact that mine was stuck in the first place tells me there is an issue. if i had to guess, the force needed to shut the rear hatch vibrates the motor assembly and thats whats jams it up.

I swapped the relays and that's not it. Can anyone tell me which fuse to check?

Dave

I have two 2000 Explorers and both had this problem. There are several posts on this and I actually ended up doing a number of things. The biggest problem I found was that the wiper blade would get stuck on the tailgate hatch window when it was coming up. Over time, I think this would ruin the motor because it would not blow a fuse, just sit there trying to move. So, I have had to replace both motors (from a junk yard, and some of those were bad as well). Once I replaced the motors I had to bend the arm so that it would not get stuck under the tailgate hatch. I also put a spacer under the piece where the wiper arm rests when it is off to raise the arm up to make it less likely to get stuck. Anyway, this appears to be both a poor design and a weak motor from Ford. Not the worst thing they ever did, but it is a faulty design.

I installed a rebuilt motor from Advanced Auto Parts ($39.99...limited lifetime warranty:) and that took care of it.

Thanks to everyone for helping out. I appreciate that.

Dave

my experiance with same problem

I had this issue and it was a easy fix for me at least. After testing the relays and switches i moved onto the motor itself. removed the back hatch covering and got down to the nitty gritty. I know of a lot of exp's are having similar issues. The issue is that initially the wire harness nice and tight, it can work itself loose. It seems like alot of the wiring harness's have similar issues. rather than try to fix their bad terminal i replaced the harness with an after market one. Making sure to mark which wires were where in the factory harness. You can try to tighten to factory harness but they are tempermental.
Hope this helps ya. East way to find out if it's the harness it to remove the back panel and slightly wiggle the wire harness. Keep the rear windshield motor to the one position. Be carefull if you force the contact the motor will start going.

Back