Surprise Surprise!! '02 Tranny Problems. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Surprise Surprise!! '02 Tranny Problems.

Jaymoney

Reaction score
City, State
Myerstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer XLT
I usually just browse this sight but just recently my wife's '02 Explorer is giving her some issues with the trans. I know these tranny's are troublesome and have read some archives about these issues. The main issue is it won't shift into 3rd gear while going up steep hills or when it's floored. Only when we slightly let off the throttle is when it will shift. Also, are the 1st and 2nd gears geared really low? It seems like it goes through the first two gears very quick. It was like that when we bought it last year so I just assumed it was normal but now I'm not so sure. Anyway, it's an '02 Expy 4.0l w/58k miles. The O/D light doesn't flash and the check engine light is not on. Did I catch this problem soon enough to only have to adjust the bands or do you guys think the bands are broken? How much does a trans shop usually charge to do either? I dont want to fix this myself due to not having any spare time, so it will have to go to the shop. I'm hoping it's just the bands because I don't have the spare $2k - $3k for a rebuild. Any help would be greatly appreciated.;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So how does it behave when driving in city traffic on level surface? In other words, if you don't have it floored going up hill, does it shift smoothly through all the gears into OD?

It shifts fine on a level surface and normal driving. That's why I don't think it's anything major yet.

Mine shifts 1st to 2ns very quickly as well. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

As far as holding third gear until you let up the accelerator, I think that's pretty normal too. Mine will downshift to 3rd when passing or when climbing a hill. If I let up, it upshifts.

Not to sound the alarm but I was told by a very trusted transmission guy that I know that with these transmissions, the MINUTE it doesn't shift at point or feels like it starts to slip, get it to someone IMMEDIATELY who knows these transmissions! MAYBE...it can be saved.

When my transmission started to do the same thing I thought it would be a routine rebuild, just like the other cars in the past where I had tranny problems. I NEVER had a light show up or anything else. I couldn't have been more wrong. It was slipping for a couple of weeks and then WHAM...she didn't move anymore. I couldn't find a shop in my state that would touch it. They all told me that no one touches the "notorious" 5rw55

Just for reference, my transmission always shifted quickly from 1st to 2nd as well, even when new, but did it with a violent 'thunk' :) Should have known then the joys that this thing was going to bring me later on...

I think I'm gonna take it to the trans shop and see what they think. There's a shop local to me and I know a few of the guys that work there, including the owners son. I'm sure they'll charge me full price, but at least I know they won't rip me off. I just hope the tranny lasts a couple more months until I come up with the money to fix it. My wife tells me the trans has been doing this for quite awhile and hasn't gotten any worse. As a matter of fact, she claims it has been doing this since we bought it last year. I really don't drive it too much to argue with her, but I don't remember the trans doing that last year. :dunno:

Well I am new here just spent 2300.00 the have this done, and apperently this is the fix. The servo goes bad and then the band breaks. Replaced the band once already broke again. This time it was bored and sleeved. The shop says they have never had one come back. I sure hope they are right. So far so good.

Oh yeah. I have a 2002 XLT, not in my profile yet. with 87000 miles on it. But I also had a total rebuild of the tranny as well.

How confident are you that this is the problem? I'm just asking because I'm really considering this. I was told by someone else that this could be the problem also.:)

Well obviously i have no way to be sure, but i have your same problem and i will be trying this myself. If a few hundred bucks gets me a few more years, or longer, from this tranny Im all for it.

The guys reviews on ebay are great so he must be legit.

Well obviously i have no way to be sure, but i have your same problem and i will be trying this myself. If a few hundred bucks gets me a few more years, or longer, from this tranny Im all for it.

The guys reviews on ebay are great so he must be legit.

You're right, I'd rather spend a few hundred dollars than a couple thousand right now. And if it lasts a few more years then that will be a bonus.

Wow!!! I sure would have liked to have heard from my Ford dealer that there was a possible solution to this problem. God, this makes me angry!

It sounds like I had the same exact problem. Unfortunately my problem was solved by throwing around $2500 at it ;) Argh!!

my advice with the servo bore kit would be to remove the tranny....not too hard, and install a transgo kit at the same time. theres also a guy on ebay that sells an updated rebuilt torque converter for under 300 bucks if you dont want to take any chances with the old torque converter. new pan filter would be a good idea too.

Back