I'm so tired of this! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm so tired of this!

Well Said. Boot time should be faster for the MFT. We should be able to add more RAM.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tumblr_lbbf6iiAzb1qz9upvo1_500.jpg

Is the MFT up to the task with regards to multitasking? Probably not.

Suggestion to eleviate some frustration:

We're running 2.8 with no problems. No reboots, Nav works, system is relatively fast.

The wife and I have approx 100 (not 6000) contacts on our phones (Droid X, Droid Global). We don't use the IPod or USB.

Until Ford gets this fixed, cut back on some of the load on the system. It's not ideal, perhaps it's wrong...but it does eleviate some problems. You're driving a great vehicle, not the MFT. Sad...some of you are single focused on it......

This certainly is the right question to ask - but that the testing of a new system is in the end "outsourced" to the customer is not happening for the first time. It happens over and over again.
Yep, its a lesson that is revisited over and over again because management (in general, not just a particular brand) seems to have amnesia. They are shooting themselves on the foot, especially when those loyal customers who've always stood by their side for decades begin looking at other brands due to these issues. $40k+is a big chunk of change and the customer has every right to expect the product (and all of its parts) to perform as advertised for that kind of money.

Is the MFT up to the task with regards to multitasking? Probably not.

Suggestion to eleviate some frustration:

We're running 2.8 with no problems. No reboots, Nav works, system is relatively fast.

The wife and I have approx 100 (not 6000) contacts on our phones (Droid X, Droid Global). We don't use the IPod or USB.

Until Ford gets this fixed, cut back on some of the load on the system. It's not ideal, perhaps it's wrong...but it does eleviate some problems. You're driving a great vehicle, not the MFT. Sad...some of you are single focused on it......

The "fix" for large contact lists is to use the proper setting in MFT and the proper setting in the phone, as Apple recommends.

No waiting needed, its available right now. No download required.

MFT works great as long as you don't touch it, don't talk to it, and don't plug anything into it.

ive taken my limited to the dealer 5 times for rattles, bumper misalignment, front wheel shimmy, the obvious mft problems, etc. this is going to be the 6th and final time i do it. for those of you who say sell it - great. want to pay me the amount i paid for it? ford has us beta testing something that wasnt completely ready for production and now refuses to carry the water for the same problems everyone has in common. i love features of the car, but after only 5k miles and multiple trips, i am not loving a new car purchase that i have to do all the legwork to fix. coming from a japanese platform, fords customers service leaves a lot to be desired.

if a go to a fancy restaurant and find hairs again and again in the food, you wouldnt expect to eat or even pay for it. imagine the explorer as a 50k bowl of soup. i was expecting more.

Coming from a japanese platform, fords customers service leaves a lot to be desired.

Oh yeah, Toyota handled their acceleration problem so much better. :rolleyes: I haven't heard of anybody that has had so many issues, sounds like a perfect candidate for return under the lemon law. If you really are having that many problems, I'd demand an exchange from the dealer.

Oh yeah, Toyota handled their acceleration problem so much better. :rolleyes:
Not to go on a tangent but (from a management perspective) Toyota actually did handle the situation pretty much "by the book". In case you haven't read the results: http://www.nhtsa.gov/PR/DOT-16-11. They didn't jump to conclusions and waited until an extensive fact-finding process produced a conclusion.

Not to go on a tangent but (from a management perspective) Toyota actually did handle the situation pretty much "by the book". In case you haven't read the results: http://www.nhtsa.gov/PR/DOT-16-11. They didn't jump to conclusions and waited until an extensive fact-finding process produced a conclusion.

Not a real good example you provided. It took forever for Toyota to rpair the defected gas pedals and to repair the improperly secured mats.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/01/business/01toyota.html

New York Times - Toyota’s Slow Awakening to a Deadly Problem

"At almost every step that led to its current predicament, Toyota underestimated the severity of the sudden-acceleration problem affecting its most popular cars. It went from discounting early reports of problems to overconfidently announcing diagnoses and insufficient fixes."

"NHTSA issued a sharp rebuke. Toyota’s statement was “misleading and inaccurate,”

"Toyota’s handling of the problem is a story of how a long-trusted carmaker lost sight of one of its bedrock principles. "

Not a real good example you provided. It took forever for Toyota to rpair the defected gas pedals and to repair the improperly secured mats.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/01/business/01toyota.html

New York Times - Toyota’s Slow Awakening to a Deadly Problem

"At almost every step that led to its current predicament, Toyota underestimated the severity of the sudden-acceleration problem affecting its most popular cars. It went from discounting early reports of problems to overconfidently announcing diagnoses and insufficient fixes."

"NHTSA issued a sharp rebuke. Toyota’s statement was “misleading and inaccurate,”

"Toyota’s handling of the problem is a story of how a long-trusted carmaker lost sight of one of its bedrock principles. "

Okay let's put that quote into context, and remember this is in 2010, at least year before the final verdict came in from the final NHTSA/NASA investigation:
As recently as the fall, Toyota was still saying it was confident that loose floor mats were the sole cause of any sudden acceleration, issuing an advisory to millions of Toyota owners to remove them. The company said on Nov. 2 that “there is no evidence to support” any other conclusion, and added that its claim was backed up by the federal traffic safety agency.

But, in fact, the agency had not signed on to the explanation, and it issued a sharp rebuke. Toyota’s statement was “misleading and inaccurate,” the agency said. “This matter is not closed.”

So to reiterate, in 2009/2010 Toyota declared that the floormats were the culprit. Toyota issued an advisory to its customers. NHTSA says no no no, Toyota's statement is misleading, this case is not closed. Toyota has already put its engineers into trying to find the problem so at this point, all Toyota could really do is go ahead with the recalls/fixes until NHTSA's next move (governance is governance after all).

Fast forward to early 2011 (per my link), NHTSA, along with NASA, finished the research to try to figure out whether the electronic system had anything to do with the problem. The results - (quote from the final NTSA/NASA research link) “We enlisted the best and brightest engineers to study Toyota’s electronics systems, and the verdict is in. There is no electronic-based cause for unintended high-speed acceleration in Toyotas." In other words, Toyota's claim in 2010 was correct. Yes they did underestimate the severity of people's floormats, but after the recall was put in place, everything pretty much went by the book.

I had a '09 Toyota Highlander and absolutely no problems with it. The repair to the gas pedal was voluntary on part of the owner. All they did was grind a bit off the bottom of the pedal. As for the floor mats, they were not improperly secured. The driver side mat already had 2 anchors for the mat. Problems arose when people were putting mats on top of mats. This could result in the piled mats slipping up aginst the gas pedal in a sudden stop. Driver error! Also, Toyota was completely cleared of the so called 'sudden acceleration' problem earlier this year. If there was any thing they could have done better it was in the communications field.

I had a '09 Toyota Highlander and absolutely no problems with it. The repair to the gas pedal was voluntary on part of the owner. All they did was grind a bit off the bottom of the pedal. As for the floor mats, they were not improperly secured. The driver side mat already had 2 anchors for the mat. Problems arose when people were putting mats on top of mats. This could result in the piled mats slipping up aginst the gas pedal in a sudden stop. Driver error! Also, Toyota was completely cleared of the so called 'sudden acceleration' problem earlier this year. If there was any thing they could have done better it was in the communications field.

I would not say the Toyota example is a great example of what to do. Years of delays, deaths, record recalls, documented defects, record government fines and pending class action law suits.

NHTSA found mechanical defects with the accelerator pedal that allowed the accelerator to get "stuck in a depressed position" "due to the materials used, wear and environmental conditions". Toyota was not absolved and they had to recall millions of vehicles plus received a record fine.

I wouldn't call it just a "communication issue" when it took Toyota from 2002 to 2010 to address what turned out to be multiple design defects for a safety related issue. Toyota received a record fine from the government for their lack of proper response

"Toyota fined another $32 million for safety reporting lapses"
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/12/toyota-to-pay-another-32-million-in-fines-for-safety-violation/1

"After the fatal crash, NHTSA says it reviewed crash evidence and other data, and found that removing floor mats was insufficient and that there was a need to redesign the accelerator pedal. At NHTSA's urging, Toyota then conducted a recall for 3.8 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles for floor mat entrapment on Oct. 5, 2009. The October recall was expanded last Jan. 27 to include another 1.1 million vehicles."

"In February, NHTSA launched an investigation and found Toyota did not notify it in a timely manner, resulting in the fine.

"The second investigation completed today resulted in a $16 million fine. In that case, NHTSA investigated whether Toyota properly notified the agency of a safety defect in several Toyota models that could result in the loss of steering control:"

"Toyota’s Slow Awakening to a Deadly Problem " http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/01/business/01toyota.html

I would not say the Toyota example is a great example of what to do. Years of delays, deaths, record recalls, documented defects, record government fines and pending class action law suits.

NHTSA found mechanical defects with the accelerator pedal that allowed the accelerator to get "stuck in a depressed position" "due to the materials used, wear and environmental conditions". Toyota was not absolved and they had to recall millions of vehicles plus received a record fine.

I wouldn't call it just a "communication issue" when it took Toyota from 2002 to 2010 to address what turned out to be multiple design defects for a safety related issue. Toyota received a record fine from the government for their lack of proper response

"Toyota fined another $32 million for safety reporting lapses"
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/12/toyota-to-pay-another-32-million-in-fines-for-safety-violation/1

"After the fatal crash, NHTSA says it reviewed crash evidence and other data, and found that removing floor mats was insufficient and that there was a need to redesign the accelerator pedal. At NHTSA's urging, Toyota then conducted a recall for 3.8 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles for floor mat entrapment on Oct. 5, 2009. The October recall was expanded last Jan. 27 to include another 1.1 million vehicles."

"In February, NHTSA launched an investigation and found Toyota did not notify it in a timely manner, resulting in the fine.

"The second investigation completed today resulted in a $16 million fine. In that case, NHTSA investigated whether Toyota properly notified the agency of a safety defect in several Toyota models that could result in the loss of steering control:"

"Toyota’s Slow Awakening to a Deadly Problem " http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/01/business/01toyota.html

Hmm.... I think we're straying from the point here - that Ford needs to fix this issue.

im giving them a final chance at a different dealer. if i have even one of these problems left i am definitely demanding a buyback and will be sending them a bill for my time and any legal fees. i gave the option of giving me a straight up trade for a new model - apparently i "didn't meet their criteria". guess 50k isnt what it used to be.

Oh yeah, Toyota handled their acceleration problem so much better. :rolleyes: I haven't heard of anybody that has had so many issues, sounds like a perfect candidate for return under the lemon law. If you really are having that many problems, I'd demand an exchange from the dealer.

'11 owners > '02 owners for sheer entertainment value. :popcorn:

im giving them a final chance at a different dealer. if i have even one of these problems left i am definitely demanding a buyback and will be sending them a bill for my time and any legal fees. i gave the option of giving me a straight up trade for a new model - apparently i "didn't meet their criteria". guess 50k isnt what it used to be.

That's ridiculous if they don't honor their end of the bargain. You've had more repairs on a vehicle that is brand new than I have on my 99 X with the 5.0L with 205K miles. 50K is still a ton of money and the dealer should honor their commitment to get you a nice ride. Sorry to hear about the hassle you've had to put up with.

And.....sorry I started that tangent about Toyota... ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back