Thoughts on my potential load: | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thoughts on my potential load:

As is, my X is a '97 5.0 AWD. Very well cared for. The 4R70W was rebuilt 36k ago.

Does anyone know what my GCWR is?

I'm planning to install a Add-A-Leaf and a hitch this month, they claim to increase payload, but with no mention as to "how much". I'm doing it for a little lift, the theoretical boost in payload is just a theoretical bonus unless someone can say "expect a increase of x.. lbs payload"

I want to tow one of two trailers I have. Both pintle hooks.

#1 is a 20' 2 axle 5 ton car trailer, I will weight it for sure as soon as I get the hitch, but my dad says it's ~2000lbs (his trailer). I can barely feel it. I'd be between 4300 and 5000 for the most common two vehicles I'd put on it. 2x braking axles.

#2 is a 26" 3 axle 11 ton equipment trailer. it weights 4200lbs, putting me at 6500-7200 with my Mustangs. I'm just trying to determine how badly overloaded this would be. I'd feel MUCH better dragging the Mustang around with 3 braking axles.

I've seen mention of people towing loads in the 6-7500lb range, but I can't find any hitches that have that rating. The best I've seen is 500/5000lbs.

I'd like to hear anyones yea/neahs for the 2nd combo. Any equipment recommendations to get me to the 7,000+ range would be awesome. The X will be empty except me, and the car I'll tow most is currently under 2500lbs (unfinished project car) but I'd like the ability to make brief trips (less than 10 miles) with the heavier load (I'd like to move a truck on the smaller trailer)

Any towing would be local (under 15 miles) anything longer and I'll bite the bullet and fire up the big truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to find out if you have the factory tow package, which would have included any upgraded cooling, wiring, etc, and likely upgraded from 3.55 to 3.73 axle gearing (or maybe more). The most important in the cooling, and you don't want to kill that trans you just had rebuilt.

I don't know as much about the 2nd gens as I do the 3rd and 4th, but since 2002, V8 trucks with the tow package have had up to around 7000 lbs max tow rating and 12,000 lbs GCVWR (combined rating). Ford (and most other) trucks define their tow ratings as usable when the truck is empty except the driver. So if you really will be towing with the truck empty, then you just might be able to do this.

But you must determine if you have the tow package. Go to a Ford dealer and let them run the VIN to find out.

If you do not have the tow package, then you likely do not have enough protection to tow either of these trailer. The good ole 5.0L had gobs of torque down low, so I don't doubt it will pull these. And a well-brakes trailer....that's great. But you have to protect the drivetrain.

Start by looking in your owners guide. Plenty of useful information in it. As for towing 7000 lbs that is only with a weight distributing hitch. That three axle is going to be way too heavy for your X.

Right. Check your manual, then make the dealer your second stop if still needed.

techie,
How do you know that?
OP has not stated if they have the factory tow package or not.

Been busy, and I just grabbed a '95 Chevy 3500 for towing for now. It was a quick fix, but I'd like to get rid of it and use my X and my big Ford, insuring the Chevy just to sit around for towing is a little to much, not to mention, you know, owning a Chevy....

Funny thing. I have factory wiring for a trailer (4 pin) and 3.73 gears, a decent sized trans cooler (which has been replaced with a bigger one when I did the transmission) but it didn't have a receiver when I got it. So, not sure on the "Tow Package"

I got myself a Reese "Pro Series" hitch and a Hayes Genesis brake controller, did a very professional install (if I do say so myself) and I've towed the big trailer empty (can barely feel it) and the 2000lb trailer I've towed quite a bit.

I took the 2000lbs trailer to Oregon with my 3500 and towed ~2500lbs load back and it was a chore. Not sure I'd want to do it in my X even if it was safe, the 3500 has a 5.7 and 4.11s, and it struggled to pull some hills on the freeway....

Add-A-Leafs are still in my future, but I'm not sure I'll tow anything heavy.

Oh, I also sold the 4200lb tri-axle, and I've got myself a much smaller (probably only 1000lbs) car trailer to use for the Mustang.

Any trailer 5k lbs and over on an X is scary. Down the street and back is one thing, but interstate or stop and go your looking for trouble. The stock brakes towing a trailer suck also. I wouldn't tow over 3k lbs without trailer brakes.

id tow #1.... trailer #2 is really pushing it.... the explorers will pull anything...especially the 5.0 - its the stopping that is the problem lol tow a big 21' trailer with my X and stopping is the biggest problem. town is ok, but when you have to stop quick on interstate... its kinda scary. upgrade your tranny cooler also

11000 gcw with 5.0

Any trailer 5k lbs and over on an X is scary. Down the street and back is one thing, but interstate or stop and go your looking for trouble. The stock brakes towing a trailer suck also. I wouldn't tow over 3k lbs without trailer brakes.

Any long trips I'd take the bigger trucks. I just want to use the X locally.

id tow #1.... trailer #2 is really pushing it.... the explorers will pull anything...especially the 5.0 - its the stopping that is the problem lol tow a big 21' trailer with my X and stopping is the biggest problem. town is ok, but when you have to stop quick on interstate... its kinda scary. upgrade your tranny cooler also

Even my smallest trailer (about 600lbs) has brakes on both axles. I don't tow without them ;)

11000 gcw with 5.0

Thanks alot!

wow there must be a difference in the states requirements. on small trailer under 2K they dont even need inspected, let alone brakes lol anything single axle usually dont have them., most tandem 3500's have ONE brake axle. im the same way - ill have brakes all around on any trailer i own haha

also, if you plan on towing the same trailer often - might want to think about a weight distribution system, they arent too expensive, but just something to think about

wow there must be a difference in the states requirements. on small trailer under 2K they dont even need inspected, let alone brakes lol anything single axle usually dont have them., most tandem 3500's have ONE brake axle. im the same way - ill have brakes all around on any trailer i own haha

also, if you plan on towing the same trailer often - might want to think about a weight distribution system, they arent too expensive, but just something to think about

There is a weight requirement for brakes to be required that doesn't mean you can't buy a trailer thats nicer than minimum. I'm just guessing about the weight of my little trailer, but I can pick it up and roll it around by hand no problem, but it's got 2 3500lb braking axles. I use it to move my Mustang around.

Back