How To: Remove and Replace Rear Axle Seals | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Remove and Replace Rear Axle Seals

xplorerguru

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 explorer
So to get started some background information is that Ford used a 2 piece seal design and it had flaws, so they re-designed a new one piece seal. This write up was helped by members Pontisteve and Ronin8002.

Tools
-Lisle Seal Installer 17850
-10mm socket
-18mm socket
-3/4in socket
-35mm socket
-1/2 to 3/4 socket adapter
-1/2 drive ratchet
-3/8 drive ratchet
-1/2 drive breaker bar
-bungee cord (something to hold caliper up)
-block of wood
-Mini sledge
-Hub Press (Some need it I didnt)
-Slide hammer and three jaw puller
-Thread tape

Parts
-1.55-1.75 quarts synth 75w140
-Ford Seal (from dealer)

Step 1: Draining the differential:
Use the 3/8in Ratchet and remove the fill plug, then use your 1/2in to 3/4in adapter and breaker bar to remove the drain plug
CIMG0170-1.jpg

Step 2: Removing the rear axles:

-Chock the front wheels, and jack up the rear of the truck and remove both rear wheels
CIMG0171-1.jpg

Use your 35mm socket to remove the hub retainer nuts. Since I was only replacing the one side the other tire was on ground and I was able to use a ratchet without having it spin on me.
CIMG0173-1.jpg

CIMG0174-1.jpg

Use 10mm socket, remove the brake calipers, taking care to not let them hang by the brake lines. I used a bungee cord to hang mine up.
CIMG0175-1.jpg

Remove the nuts on the pinch bolts for the upper control arm and the lower toe link with the 18mm socket
CIMG0179.jpg

CIMG0182.jpg

Use a hammer to tap the pinch bolts out of their holes and remove. These were very rusty so I had to use penetrating spray to help get them out.
CIMG0180.jpg

Once the bolts are out, put your cold chisel in the slots and hammer it into the slot.
CIMG0184.jpg

CIMG0183.jpg

This will open that slot up enough so that you can tap the upper control arms and toe links out of their holes.These will also tend to be very rusted in and stubborn.

Attach your hub press tool to the lugs and press the knuckle off the axleshaft.
CIMG0193.jpg

Once you’ve pressed the axle out of the hub then you can pivot the knuckle over and rest it on a support object
CIMG0197.jpg

After that’s done on then you can work on getting the axle popped out of the diff.

Use your wooden stick and mini-sledge. You just need to position the wooden stick against the axle shaft as shown. Try to get it as in-line with the axis of the axle shaft as possible. A few good hits with the mini sledge on your wooden stick will pop the axle shafts out.
CIMG0196.jpg

Then use your three jaw puller and slide hammer to pull out the bad seal, I do not have pictures for this and thankfully Ronin8002 supplied them. The seal takes a few good pulls to remove.

Next wipe down the bore clean and proceed to line up the new seal so it looks as straight to the bore as straight can get. Then use the Lisle tool and a rubber mallet to hammer in the seal making sure it is straight!

Next slide the Axle back in and give it a pull to lock into place, you can feel it pop and you know its in. Then attach the upper ball joint and toe link and tighten them back up. Next go ahead and install tire and lower the car. install the drain plug with some thread tape to prevent leakage.

RONIN8002 Supplied the pictures and I went off his thread on how to install a locker. Thanks Ronin8002, and Ponitsteve for all the help and tips!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will add more later and edit it, but for the most part its pretty basic. I know im forgetting something but I just cant think what it is! lol

Thanks Again Ronin for the pictures!

@xplorerguru,

like your nice description and I may add some pics the coming week. After going through your pics I come up with a question:

While you'd removed the drive shaft out of the diff and replacing the seal have you also replaced the drive shaft pilot bearing? I mean if there is minimal run-out of this bearing it will destroy the new seal in some 100 mls and you're going to repeat this work.

Received my 'shaft repair kit' today. Consists of a 2nd gen two piece unitized seal and a snap ring for the shaft. Ordered new 35mm shaft nut, too.

Kit comes with installation sheets with necessary information. Will install kit next weekend.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s16/lnkf/IMG_0626.jpg

Hey is there any hope of prying out the seal with a regular seal puller that has the hooks on each end and you pry with the handle? Doing these seals now and not quite sure where to get the 3 jaw seal puller and slide hammer and also how to pull the pilot bearing or how to reseat the pilot bearing and finding the seal driver tool aswell. I'm basically at a stand still untill i can find these tools and information. Please help! lol.

Can anyone provide the equivalent seal part numbers from both National and Timken and any other brand?

I am about to get into this project and I am not too sure of what part/s to order.

Do I need to get a new nut and circlip?

On Ford parts giant - www.fordpartsgiant.com - it shows F89Z-4676-AA. But there is a note that it has been replaced by BR3Z-4676-A. I have not been able to contact them to ascertain which one is the one they will actually send. plus, it is a completely different part number than what rockouto has.

I have a D4 code differential; 3.73 limited slip
Any other write ups on this.

Regards

Many thanks, great photos.

Any advice on re-installing the seal and the axle?

I did my 2000 Ranger rear wheel bearings recently where the circlips are removed/reinstalled from inside the differential - so I did not have to be concerned with the clips or technique when reinserting those axles - other than not damaging the new seals. On installing the seal, I just seated as "squared" as possible and worked it in with a piece of wood and a rubber mallet - would the same technique here do?

Thanks again.

Many thanks, great photos.

Any advice on re-installing the seal and the axle?

I did my 2000 Ranger rear wheel bearings recently where the circlips are removed/reinstalled from inside the differential - so I did not have to be concerned with the clips or technique when reinserting those axles - other than not damaging the new seals. On installing the seal, I just seated as "squared" as possible and worked it in with a piece of wood and a rubber mallet - would the same technique here do?

Thanks again.

that would do but with a slight twist on the explorer, you need a helper/buddy if you don't have the longer lisle seal adaptor, there's no space to swing the rubber mallet. I used a piece of wood flat against the seal and a long 2x4 so that my buddy could pound it in from outside while I hold the seal in place (or you could improvise using 2x4s that looks like a tee). The new seal design also eliminates the use of the plastic protectors (makes it easier) when inserting the shaft

Good tip thanks. I am going to have limited time to do this, so all helps.

Reinstalling straight forward? Anything of circlip to be aware?

Just finished this job. Wanted to thank you guys for the advice.
In my case, all came out pretty easy, no need for special tools. The axle popped out just as described above using a piece of wood and a couple of whacks from a 3-lbs hammer.

I found this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfyqNoR02FQ&list=UUN467fmgLLlk98JddJLL51w (it is for wheel bearing replacement) very informative as he has a couple of tricks on how to release the parking brake and, if you need to, deal with a stuck tie-rod.

I am a little late to the party. Xplorerguru said in his very useful and informative post that Ronin8002 had more pictures (for example, how to remove the bad seal). Could someone please provide a link to those pictures? I have not been able to find them yet.

Thanks!

I have to do my 2007 Explorer V8 and wonder if it is comparable to the 2005 models that are posted everywhere. I have to do the left rear wheel bearing that has failed. It never made a noise and when I did my brakes i noticed the play in the hub. I got lucky. Then I noticed the wet differential around that seal so I have 2 jobs to do. Is this model the same as my 2007?

I'll answer my own question since I just removed the driver's side knuckle. They are completely and in every single way different. Nothing about my suspension resembles the older models. The axle is lose so i hope it just pops out. Not sure yet. I am trying to get the wheel bearing out of the knuckle to replace it. I will try the seals after.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Need Help,

Is there anyone here that could repost or enter a link to those pictures?
I'm trying to remove the seal on my 2007 Limited, 4.6L.
It doesn't look right compared to the national I purchased.

Any help would be great! thank you

Back