Easy way to fill your rear differential! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Easy way to fill your rear differential!

03_exploder

Reaction score
City, State
lancaster, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer, 1998 F150
Was helping my dad today doing a rear diff service on his 2003 exlporer. I don't know if someone has made something similar on here in the past but this is what I used and it made it 10x easier. I took one 1' long piece of black hose and a tire pressure guage (a cheap $2 aluminum guage) and cut the ends off of it and used the aluminum body and push it into the end of the hose. The hose then fits over the gear oil squeeze bottles and fits nice and tight, then put the tire guage end itnto the fill hole and fill er' up! qucik and easy and most of all cheap! I spent $5:thumbsup:

Hope this helps some of you out!

I have some pictures of it but im new on here and havent found where I can post them any help would be appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just made one up thanks!

Here they are
IMG_20110717_160458.jpg
IMG_20110717_160517.jpg
IMG_20110717_160702.jpg

Good job. That fill hole is in a real tight spot. Cant really fill from the front above it because of limited space. I'll try this after i do my axle seals and drain and refill my diff.

Yea its def a tight spot. I tried to go above that crossmember but theres barely enough space for a piece of paper in there. It got harder towards the end to squeeze the bottle hard enough to get the remainder of the fluid in there. Im sure it could be refined a bit with a hand pump attached to it but for the $5, filling it in 10 min and a little elbow grease it def paid off.

Back