• Register Today It's free!

Begining of a transformation

1994bluexlt

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Xlt
So against all of my friends warnings of "You'll be a redneck", and "You'll get like 2 mpg" I've decided to raise my truck a considerable amount. Now here's the dilemma i face either i raise the truck now and keep my wimpy tires, or i get some over-sized tires and wait for the lift. Now I'm not really sure what tires my stock 1994 explorer xlt can handle and i don't want to run the risk of having to get bigger tires once i raise it. So my question to you is What size tires can a stock explorer handle and if it's worth it to put the tires on first.

thanks in advance, i know you guys wont let me down.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you want to lift it more than 2 or 3 inches, I suggest buying the lift first. If you buy the tires first you will have a set of tires sitting there that will not fit on your vehicle. If you buy the lift first, you can still drive with the same tires, it will just look a little funny. Also, you may change your mind during the lift or you may add more height to it, therefore increasing your max tire size.

Awesome Thanks for the advice, obivously im still new to all of this, are there any Lift kits i should look for, or avoid. I plan on gaining 6 inches when all done.

I have about 5"-6" of lift. It works great and I am running a 33" tall tire. I can fit 35" tires with a little bit of trimming. 35" tires are as big as you can go on the TTB dana 35 front axle. Any bigger and you are sure to break something. I started with a two inch lift and 31" tires. I could have gone 33" tires with some trimming at that height. I still have the 2" lift in the garage if your interested. I would stay away from anything other than James Duff or Skyjacker lift kits if your actually going to use the Explorer for wheeling. The other lifts seem to lack in strength and will punch a hole in your front diff.

Well im just looking for a lift for street use not really near any offroading places So anything that gets me up in the air and keeps me there. Also most of these tires say they're great for mud or rocks, but is there a brand for everyday driving

Edit. Nvm i found some.

I would be more concerned with total width more than tire diameter. The general rule is go as wide as you do high. by lifting you raise your center of gravity and can join the rollover posse pretty fast!! :roll:

Back