Original height for 2001 EX | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Original height for 2001 EX

Reaction score
City, State
Gatineau, Qc.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer, Sport.
Hey guys, I recently bought a 2001 Explorer sport that had a worn-out suspension. At the same time I had it fixed, I asked my mech to do a TT and to bring up the rear at level.

Now I know this section is for unmodified Explorers and this is why I'm asking for your help here. I would like to know how much I gained in height, but I am lacking the original height mesurements.

Please include from where you mesured. Ex: from center of wheel to high point on the fender arc.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you log in there is a specification section that has a ton of info.

Unfortunately, you would have had to take the measurements before they changed. All Explorers are different. I used to work with 3 Explorers/Mounty's and they all had diff ride heights.

ping me an email or PM and I will send you the service manual. It has the specs. It is in pdf format. You will need the Adobe Reader to open it. It aint your normal service manual like i got with my Charger that tells you to spend money at the dealership or how to open a garage door and turn on the hazard lights, the Ex service manual has a ton of info I find useful.

D a n a

I've posted this numerous times, in numerous threads about checking ride height....

to measure ride height:

RIDE HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT

To perform the ride height check and adjustment requires the use of special slip plates under the front wheels. These plates allow the front suspension to properly settle by bypassing the tires adhesion to the ground.

1. Raise and support the vehicle. If equipped with ARC suspension, disconnect the front and rear air lines at the shock absorbers.

2. Position frictionless slip plates under the tires then lower the vehicle onto the slip plates.

3. Bounce the vehicles front and rear suspensions several times to normalize the vehicle static ride height.

4. Measure the distance between the center of the lower control arm bushing bolt and the ground. Record the measurement as dimension A.

5. Measure the distance between the lowest point of the steering knuckle (but not the ball joint) and the ground. Record the measurement as dimension B.

6. Subtract dimension B from dimension A for ride height.

7. For vehicles without ARC suspension, ride height should be 4.33-4.56 in. (110-116mm).

8. For vehicles with ARC suspension, ride height should be 3.26-3.50 in. (83-89mm).

9. To increase the ride height, raise the vehicle and tighten the torsion bar adjuster bolt. Recheck the ride height.

10. To decrease the ride height, raise the vehicle and loosen the torsion bar adjuster bolt. Recheck the ride height.

11. Once proper ride height is established, raise and support the vehicle.

12. If equipped with ARC suspension, connect the front and rear air lines at the shocks.

13. Remove the slip plates from under the wheels.

14. Lower the vehicle.

Great write-up on adjusting ride height Gavin. May be a dumb question, but should the stabilizer links be disconnected while adjusting the torsion bars? It seems that adjusting the torsion bar on one side would affect the other side if the stabilizer links and bar are still connected. Maybe the affect is minimal.

I just finished replacing springs and shocks but my stock 99 ex still sits low on the right rear. Would that the left torsion bar is raising the left front causing the right rear to sink?

Thanks again.

ping me an email or PM and I will send you the service manual. It has the specs. It is in pdf format. You will need the Adobe Reader to open it. It aint your normal service manual like i got with my Charger that tells you to spend money at the dealership or how to open a garage door and turn on the hazard lights, the Ex service manual has a ton of info I find useful.

D a n a

can i get that deal too, is it for 2 and 4 wheel drive

Great write-up on adjusting ride height Gavin. May be a dumb question, but should the stabilizer links be disconnected while adjusting the torsion bars? It seems that adjusting the torsion bar on one side would affect the other side if the stabilizer links and bar are still connected. Maybe the affect is minimal.

I just finished replacing springs and shocks but my stock 99 ex still sits low on the right rear. Would that the left torsion bar is raising the left front causing the right rear to sink?

Thanks again.

Many Ex's have that rear slant and the problem is usually with tired leaf springs. You can swing by a spring shop and they can just add a support leaf to strengthen your set up. They most likely will replace the U-bolts in the process as this is S.O.P.

Back