94 XLT, need to know about front bearings/hubs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 XLT, need to know about front bearings/hubs

Reaction score
City, State
Christmas Valley, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
not the same issue any more. i found out it is the yoke to the driver side that is bad. please tell me if they are easy to replace. or any info about them. dad looked at it and said this was the problem not wheel bearings

Its not really that easy, quite a bit of labor. I would suggest that you go buy a Chilton or Haynes repair manual. They are pretty good for the X, and many of the prodecures are generic for most any car. (replacing brake drums for example) Depending on what you see in the manual and your skill set hopefully you can make a determination on how hard it will be for you to do. One of the best suggestions I make to anyone is when you are doing a job make sure you use the correct tool, it makes it 100% easier.

explorernoobie said:
not the same issue any more. i found out it is the yoke to the driver side that is bad. please tell me if they are easy to replace. or any info about them. dad looked at it and said this was the problem not wheel bearings

Get a hub nut socket. It will help. Also I found that on my 94 I'm pretty sure the spindle had never been off. It was a nightmare. And make sure you remove the right bolts for the abs sensor if yours has 4 wheel abs. But clean it up and reassemble with a little antiseize and it's a piece of cake the next time. I've had mine apart a few times since and only the first time was hard.

Back