• Register Today It's free!

Over heating issue.

willie Pawlowski

Reaction score
City, State
phoenix
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer xlt
I have a 1997 ford explorer XLT 5.0L. It just started running a lot hotter than normal usually when it's over 110 degrees, I live in Phoenix. I've had the thermostat replaced and antifreeze flush, radiator and all hoses are pretty new. There are no leaks and it's not using any extra antifreeze. One guy who worked on my car before says it is seeping head gaskets, but another mechanic who replaced the thermostat says there are no signs of that. Is there a temperature sensor or something or even though the water pump is not making noise or leaking be the issue or is the head gaskets theory right? When driving when it gets hot the air condition gets warm but the clutch fan seems to be turning fine and then the thermostat goes back to near normal and then hot again, any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 95-01 section. Confirm the temperature with an infrared gun. The temperature sending unit might be bad if it shows that it's overheating, and the IR gun says that it's the normal temperature.

When driving when it gets hot the air condition gets warm but the clutch fan seems to be turning fine .

The fact that the A/C gets warm points to reduced air flow over the condenser. If you have a lack of air flow over the condenser, you also have a lack of air flow over your cooling system (radiator).

Check that fan clutch again.

I replaced the clutch fan and so far its good, thanks.

The fact that the A/C gets warm points to reduced air flow over the condenser. If you have a lack of air flow over the condenser, you also have a lack of air flow over your cooling system (radiator).

Check that fan clutch again.

when i checked the fan when it was idling it was ok but during driving it must have intermitently stopped running seems ok after replacing

Possible bad gauge and that the a/c is on the fritz?

Possible bad gauge and that the a/c is on the fritz?

this whole problem I have been having with the overheating issue had nothing to do with the gauge, thermostat, or clutch like everybody said, it was the head gaskets had a very small bad spot where exhaust was getting in (no leaks of any kind) I saw very small bubbles in radiator coolant when truck warmed up gone after replacing gaskets and overheating issue is fixed, several mechanics had no clue how to troubleshoot this issue, there solution was to "shotgun" (replace things till you find it) instead of properly troubleshooting. The reason the air went warm when overheating ocurred is what it's supposed to do when engine is starting to overheat.

Thanks for the followup. Ouch

Back