• Register Today It's free!

Wiring a Solenoid

gt183

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT
So I've been working on a little project for the last couple of months, and I'm up to one of the last steps of wiring the relay. My first attempt at this I messed up crimping the disconnect terminals with the supplied relay:
RL-70-Md.jpg

So I decided to go with a solenoid style relay so I can just use some O-Rings instead of the clips:
124.jpg

Can someone explain how I should wire this up? The wires I have to connect do the following:

1: Power from the battery (10 Gauge)
2: Power to the device (10 Gauge)
3: Switch (16 Gauge)
4: Ground (16 Gauge)

From the research I've tried to do, it seems that the two larger connectors are for power, and the two smaller ones are for grounding and switching. It doesn't seem to matter which of the two larger poles you use to hook up your power to, but would this be the same for the ground and switch?

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From the research I've tried to do, it seems that the two larger connectors are for power, and the two smaller ones are for grounding and switching. It doesn't seem to matter which of the two larger poles you use to hook up your power to, but would this be the same for the ground and switch?
That is correct - its an electromagnetic device.

EDIT - do understand that a solenoid is often not a continuous duty device - which means its meant to go on for a few seconds and then off. On the other hand, a relay can hold the circuit closed for a much longer time (although usually not as much amps). If you need to switch a lot of amps for a longer duration than a solenoid (a few minutes), a cheap solution would be to go with a "glow plug relay" for diesels (example: the "GPR109" from Napa - usually $20-$30)

That is correct - its an electromagnetic device.

EDIT - do understand that a solenoid is often not a continuous duty device - which means its meant to go on for a few seconds and then off. On the other hand, a relay can hold the circuit closed for a much longer time (although usually not as much amps). If you need to switch a lot of amps for a longer duration than a solenoid (a few minutes), a cheap solution would be to go with a "glow plug relay" for diesels (example: the "GPR109" from Napa - usually $20-$30)

Thanks for the info IZwack. The relay I bought says it's continuous duty (Link to relay), but since I only paid $10 for it, we'll see how long it lasts me.

IZwack is right, and that solenoid indicates its continuous duty but i would be leary because it is an electro magnet that generates heat. what is the for?

IZwack is right, and that solenoid indicates its continuous duty but i would be leary because it is an electro magnet that generates heat. what is the for?

It's for a Hydrogen Generator (HHO Kits Direct). The place I bought it from offers an upgraded solenoid to replace the relay that comes with the kit (HHO Kits Direct Solenoid). I just didn't feel like spending another $60 on it since I've already invested a lot of extra money in the kit. I figured if the one I bought dosn't work or breaks, I'll go ahead and upgrade to the brand name solenoid. I have found it cheaper though at Grainger. Is there any danger in using this no name solenoid vs. the White Rodger solenoid?

It's for a Hydrogen Generator (HHO Kits Direct). The place I bought it from offers an upgraded solenoid to replace the relay that comes with the kit (HHO Kits Direct Solenoid). I just didn't feel like spending another $60 on it since I've already invested a lot of extra money in the kit. I figured if the one I bought dosn't work or breaks, I'll go ahead and upgrade to the brand name solenoid. I have found it cheaper though at Grainger. Is there any danger in using this no name solenoid vs. the White Rodger solenoid?

You can save yourself a lot of time and money by cutting your losses now; those systems will not be an benefit other than a headache.

You can save yourself a lot of time and money by cutting your losses now; those systems will not be an benefit other than a headache.

I'll letcha know how it goes Josh in another week or so. I realize why you're skeptical, I've probably read the same things you have. But I ask you to just do some research on this specific product (see the link in my third post). This guy seems to have taken many of the complaints about HHO systems and found fixes for them. Also, the manufacturer has been nothing but helpful when contacted for support. Whether it works or not, we'll see. But I haven't found one complaint about this kit online since I started following them 3 years ago.

keep the post going i know the systems will make hydorgen but i dont know if they can make enough to make a difference, some people seen conviced otherwise. i have the parts for a DIY but never got around to it.

Back