ATTN: Owners With Gen II Explorers - Look at your Gas Pedal | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ATTN: Owners With Gen II Explorers - Look at your Gas Pedal

Wheel well tip

Had this happen on my '98 two nights ago. Scary, then hilarious 'hey, I've lost my gas pedal!'

It's probably obvious to experts, but here's a tip for us rookies: Jack up, jack stand and remove the driver's side front wheel and pull out the lower wheel well skirt to get access to the engine side of the fix. There's no mention of this in the TSB but I have no idea how you'd ever get the nuts on the bolts if you don't do this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nuts & Bolts?car

Had this happen on my '98 two nights ago. Scary, then hilarious 'hey, I've lost my gas pedal!'

It's probably obvious to experts, but here's a tip for us rookies: Jack up, jack stand and remove the driver's side front wheel and pull out the lower wheel well skirt to get access to the engine side of the fix. There's no mention of this in the TSB but I have no idea how you'd ever get the nuts on the bolts if you don't do this.

I just fired 3 really heavy duty pop rivets through it, been solid as a rock for a year now. Took 10 mins, no drilling and no need to get into the wheel well.

Jst thought I would bring up an old thread to remind everyone to check their petal, I did a seafoam on my 96 today, took it for a "spirited drive" and on the way home the whole petal assembly bent under the brake petal... Luckly I was only 2 miles from home and there was no traffic... I used the accel/coast buttons on the cruise to get home...

Shouldn't take too long to fix, I just wanted to bring it up again.... If your exploder feels really sluggish, almost like the transmission is slipping every time you take off from a stop sign or red light, CHECK YOUR PETAL!!! Its pretty scary when it breaks off while driving!

Yeah, mine broke off completely a few months ago, as I was pulling up to the shop. Fortunately I had some self drilling sheet metal screws handy. I can see where this could have turned out much worse.

This just happened to me too! The bracket broke off clean. I was on a one hour trip and the gas pedal felt funky the entire time. Definitely like a loss of power since it couldnt be pushed in all the way. Luckily it broke off about 1 mile away from home.

Mine broke about 300 miles from home. Drove back using the cruise control buttons - luckily trip almost all interstate! Fun, fun, fun!

Gas pedal bracket broke off firewall

This happened to me (1999 XLT) two years ago while pulling an 18' travel trailer. I was able to pull on the cable, my nose to the dashboard, and drive to a repair center. I drilled out the spots and refastened with self-tapping screws. It has held fine so far, but makes me nervous. Ford warrenty department made out as if they had never heard of this!

Sounds like what I did, only I extended the cable with a shoelace to get home. I repaired mine by installing nuts and bolts accessible through the engine compartment.

Least we haven't heard of any injuries due to this.
SD

This happened to me (1999 XLT) two years ago while pulling an 18' travel trailer. I was able to pull on the cable, my nose to the dashboard, and drive to a repair center. I drilled out the spots and refastened with self-tapping screws. It has held fine so far, but makes me nervous. Ford warrenty department made out as if they had never heard of this!

Mine broke on my 98 Explorer yesterday. I had noticed that I was not able to accelerate well for a few days.

The dang thing broke off and went under the brake pedal right as I was taking an overpass exit on the interstate. It really could have been bad. I thank God for all of the clunkers I have driven in my life that have had strange accelerator problems.

I wish I would have thought of the shoelace (brilliant!), instead I took off my shoe and grabbed the top of the assembly with my toes lol.

I have not fixed it yet, I was going to use a rod welder until I found this site this morning. I think I will bolt it down and then weld at a few points.

Had the same thing happen to me. Used oversized bolts and liquid weld epoxy. Holding strong.

Same thing happened several years ago to my 95 Ranger. Fortunately, it happened in the drive as I was leaving for work. For the previous couple of weeks, I though there was something wrong witht the engine, since there was very little power (even for the 4-cyl rangers), then the pedal just fell off!

I fixed it with a couple of self tapping sheet metal screws.

Sometimes I think Ford just hires people in design department with the task to make them look bad.
I mean... how hard is to figure out that the pedals have pressure on them 99% of the time and you need to attach them properly to resist the fatigue?
Or maybe they want to keep us "involved" with our cars?

Mine broke on my 98 Explorer yesterday. I had noticed that I was not able to accelerate well for a few days.

The dang thing broke off and went under the brake pedal right as I was taking an overpass exit on the interstate. It really could have been bad. I thank God for all of the clunkers I have driven in my life that have had strange accelerator problems.

I wish I would have thought of the shoelace (brilliant!), instead I took off my shoe and grabbed the top of the assembly with my toes lol.

I have not fixed it yet, I was going to use a rod welder until I found this site this morning. I think I will bolt it down and then weld at a few points.

The bracket was originally either spot welded or rivited to firewall. When mine came loose it left holes in firewall. I removed the bracket from the pedal, drilled out corresponding holes in the bracket; then used a couple of bolts with lock nuts to reinstall. No need to remove fender well cover, holes are accessible from engine compartment. Been holding for over two years now. Good luck.

oh wow so this is a problem I thought I just slammed on the gas peddle to hard and it snapped off a few days ago Im driving a 94 EX with 155,000 miles and it just happened wonder why it lasted so long

Of course I find this thread AFTER posting about my own issue. JB and self taps just a bit ago...

20221124_114127.jpg 20221124_115526.jpg

Of course I find this thread AFTER posting about my own issue. JB and self taps just a bit ago...

View attachment 436610 View attachment 436611
I for one am glad you posted it, and bumped the ancient thread. Already need to zip tie the throttle cable, while I'm down there I'll look at the bracket too! When this thread was posted in '06, didn't have an Explorer! The joys of having a vintage car, and best of all being on this forum!

I for one am glad you posted it, and bumped the ancient thread. Already need to zip tie the throttle cable, while I'm down there I'll look at the bracket too! When this thread was posted in '06, didn't have an Explorer! The joys of having a vintage car, and best of all being on this forum!
I like our older trucks. Easier to work on even in the driveway, no shortage of parts, don't need an engineering degree to fix it. This forum has been a treasure trove of knowledge for keeping our rigs on the road!

I like our older trucks. Easier to work on even in the driveway, no shortage of parts, don't need an engineering degree to fix it. This forum has been a treasure trove of knowledge for keeping our rigs on the road!
Indeed

Back