• Register Today It's free!

12v Accessory Power

purplehazeir

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
I would like to have 12v power so I can add two-way radios. Not sure which fuse to tap on the interior panel to get 12v only while the vehicle is running. I tried a few and didn't have much luck. The panel is certainly not user friendly to get to and darn near impossible to get a meter in there and figure anything out.

If I have to tap the distribution box in the engine bay to get that option, then so be it. Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated whether it be at the fuse panel or the distribution box in the bay.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

12V tap

I would like to have 12v power so I can add two-way radios. Not sure which fuse to tap on the interior panel to get 12v only while the vehicle is running. I tried a few and didn't have much luck. The panel is certainly not user friendly to get to and darn near impossible to get a meter in there and figure anything out.

If I have to tap the distribution box in the engine bay to get that option, then so be it. Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated whether it be at the fuse panel or the distribution box in the bay.

Just a thought, if you're just need the extra tap for a two-way radio I would suggest going to Radio Shack and picking up a splitter. You plug it into the 12 volt accessory outlet and the other end has two outlets for your devices to connect to.

Just a thought, if you're just need the extra tap for a two-way radio I would suggest going to Radio Shack and picking up a splitter. You plug it into the 12 volt accessory outlet and the other end has two outlets for your devices to connect to.

I want a clean install with a permanent tap that is hot while the vehicles running, for radios that will be permanently mounted. The accessory outlets and cables running everywhere is a pain. Thanks for the advice though! :thumbsup:

I want a clean install with a permanent tap that is hot while the vehicles running, for radios that will be permanently mounted. The accessory outlets and cables running everywhere is a pain. Thanks for the advice though! :thumbsup:

I'd bet one of the cigarette lighters and or power ports is switched and the other hot all the time. For a clean install your going to have to remove at least a few panels so if your not comfortable with a multi meter and tearing your car apart take it to a local (good) stereo shop and I'll be they do it for less than 100 bucks.

Full wiring charts are available at www.the12volt.com

Back