• Register Today It's free!

Hypertech Max Energy ECON

JDC81

Reaction score
City, State
Forney, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT FWD V6
Not sure how many of you have used it but I'll be picking up the hypertech ECON programmer today and putting the tune on my 08 v-8 explorer. I'm looking for a tad better gas mileage, we're averaging 14mpg in mostly city driving which is about right so we'll see how much it improves, and see how much power it adds and how it feels. I'll post back with updates on the tune, and MPG's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well the upload went fine. I took it out for a spin and there is more power down low and mid range, but I didn't notice a lot up top. I'll post back after I've driven it for a while, I just wanted to give my initial thoughts.

I usually get 16.1 without a tune, no real mods...just good maintance and proper tire pressure.

Its my wife's car and she has a short 3mi drive to work. All city driving all week long, and she has a heavy foot. One it gets on the hwy we get 21-22mpg. Do you guys use the 10% ethanol blend in AZ?

Its my wife's car and she has a short 3mi drive to work. All city driving all week long, and she has a heavy foot. One it gets on the hwy we get 21-22mpg. Do you guys use the 10% ethanol blend in AZ?

Nope, not out here. :)

Yeah we generally have lower MPG's due to that 10% ethanol crap here, so I have to work to overcome that. :mad: Im using Mobil 1 0W-20 all tire pressure is good, just need to get an alignment check.

When I lived back in IL (10% land) I did get upper 15's. I run 5-20 motorcraft durablend in it. The big thing out here is the air filters, with all the dust they need to be changed often.

I never really open up the explorer so I suppose if I had a lighter foot it would get worse.

Well so far the MPG's have stayed the same. It'll be going on a long trip this summer so we'll have to see what the HWY MPG's look like. I'm hoping for some improvement.

Not much of an update. We'll be back from out trip to VA around the 9th so we'll see how the hwy MPG's are. I towed our 21' travel trailer and got 9.8mpg with it loaded, A/C on and 5 people in the car. Unfortunately we got the trailer after the programmer so cant compare it. I'll get back to you guys after the trip but aside from more power, not much of an increase MPG wise.

Here is my update, my mpg's have dropped. I lost about 1mpg city and 2mpg hwy on this trip we only averaged 17 where before it was 19mpg on the same route. I emailed Hypertech to see if they have any insight but I'm pretty dissapointed right now.

Here is my update, my mpg's have dropped. I lost about 1mpg city and 2mpg hwy on this trip we only averaged 17 where before it was 19mpg on the same route. I emailed Hypertech to see if they have any insight but I'm pretty dissapointed right now.

let us know!

Back