Stupid Nav Question... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stupid Nav Question...

BPVigs

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
So this past weekend I was in city A and wanted to get to city B which was 4 hours away. I tried setting a destination, but the Nav wanted more info than that: address, business, and other POI's. I didn't want to get to a specific address, just the city. Is there any way to just go from city A to city B without adding an address? I thought that was maybe what "City Center" meant, but it still wanted more specific info. I know this may be a really dumb question, but when I was "in the moment," I couldn't figure it out, and and I'm pretty sure my Sync lady won't talk to me after all the names I called her!

- PS...what I ended up doing was just making up an address...and that worked fin.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't figured that one out either. last week I asked it to take me to the nearest Walmart and while I am in Mn. it pulled up central Florida!

Walmart Directions?

When I put in Walmart, I get steered to some place in Central China!

So this past weekend I was in city A and wanted to get to city B which was 4 hours away. I tried setting a destination, but the Nav wanted more info than that: address, business, and other POI's. I didn't want to get to a specific address, just the city. Is there any way to just go from city A to city B without adding an address? I thought that was maybe what "City Center" meant, but it still wanted more specific info. I know this may be a really dumb question, but when I was "in the moment," I couldn't figure it out, and and I'm pretty sure my Sync lady won't talk to me after all the names I called her!

- PS...what I ended up doing was just making up an address...and that worked fin.

Thanks for your help in advance!
City Center will work with no address. Make sure you enter the state you want first. If you know the zip code, that will work too.

City Center will work with no address. Make sure you enter the state you want first. If you know the zip code, that will work too.

I tried that, but then it wanted other things...like places of worship, shopping, etc. I'll try it again though and see. It already had the state selected for me.

Thanks though!

You all be careful what you say to that lady. I told what to do with herself and she replied "changing to station 22" ;-) My solution to the problem is to have Ford license the Megallan operating system because my $139.00 Roadmate 3045-LM works so much better, is eaiser to program, has a larger addressbook and free has lifetime maps and traffic.

Sync Services

Actually, I just discovered SYNC services last weekend, works much easier than trying to enter addresses on the screen.

When you hit the voice button, say "services", and you are connected via your cellphone connection. I found it much easier to give an address to that than trying to communicate with the Sync lady. When it finds your address, it downloads to your car, and you are ready to go.

Admittedly, I didn't try a city center, so I dont know if that option is available, but I found it immensely easier to find a destination than fighting with the system built it to the car.

I tried that, but then it wanted other things...like places of worship, shopping, etc. I'll try it again though and see. It already had the state selected for me.

Thanks though!

I am trying to reproduce this and can't. Were you using the voice command for City Center or were you manually inputting it into the nav system? What city were you trying to get to? I am determined to duplicate this! :)

Thanks!

Rebecca

I am trying to reproduce this and can't. Were you using the voice command for City Center or were you manually inputting it into the nav system? What city were you trying to get to? I am determined to duplicate this! :)

Thanks!

Rebecca

I started out using the voice commands. After that got me nowhere, I had my wife, who was the passenger, do it manually. I'll go outside and see if I can duplicate it. I was in Brainerd, MN trying to get to Rochester, MN.

Thanks for your help.

I started out using the voice commands. After that got me nowhere, I had my wife, who was the passenger, do it manually. I'll go outside and see if I can duplicate it. I was in Brainerd, MN trying to get to Rochester, MN.

Thanks for your help.

Here's what I found out...right, wrong, or other.

"City Center" isn't a choice with Voice Command. You can manually punch it in, and it worked really well. Not sure why it's not a choice in voice command, but it isn't highlighted in the blue saying it's a choice. Seems a little lame, but whatever. As long as it works I guess.

Thanks!

BPVigs is correct it would not work for me last weekend either.

Just got back from dealer with the new 2.11 update. Phone paired very well and all other functions are working a little faster. No hangups yet. The navigation via Veronica, our voice nav is still stumbling as before with voice commands. I found out that manually entering the city and or state makes her work better. I for the life of me don't understand why starting out on voice command you can't enter city name first as a preference. As for using sync instead it costs me a lot per minute to use it that way.
But overall, fingers crossed everything works for the first time in seven months. Kudos to Houston Ford in Pine River Mn.

We have been on two road trips and cannot get traffic and directions. When we ttempt to use the system, we get a recorded example, ut won't give us access for our input. Help!

In the major cities you can get traffic via Sirius/XM Radio if you locate the city station. Some cities share the same number. Had my Explorer about 6 weeks and used the Sync location service once. It seemed to work fine. I'm still on ver 2.8. No problems so far, except a little slow to respond, so I'm delaying install of 2.11.

Back