Help locating the right Weight Distribution Hitch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help locating the right Weight Distribution Hitch

TIO M

Reaction score
City, State
Copperas Cove, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 LTD X/Platinum 4wd
Howdy Folks,

I've been researching and looking through all the threads here on towing. I for some really odd and obscure reason decided to take the plunge and buy a boat.

Well now I am looking for a proper WHD as prescribed by our Owners manual since the boat and trailer weigh a total of 4400lbs.

I am located in Homestead...so Miami, Ft. Lauderdale areas are reasonably locations for me to find a hitch.

ANYONE know of a place where I can find one of these contraptions? Also do I really need the Dual Cam or just the regular WDH? I mean do I really need Sway Control? For those of you I read your posts and no one mentions this little bit of hardware anywhere.

PLEASE HELP ME I pick up the boat on Tuesday....totally just didn't even think about the hitch requirements. Thank you and looking forward to everyone's input. I already learned a great deal reading folks threads when discussing this issue with towing.

Also not many 500lb Tongue/ 5000Lb max hitches.....most are 600lb, 800lb, and 1000lb....is the 600lb okay? Again thank you!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One more thing...

What brand would you recommend and what is a good price a reasonable price. I see units for $239 is that just being too cheap? Thank you guys!!

I tow our camping trailer with a weight distribution hitch. I would ask your boat dealer for advice on the type you need, or a local commercial trailer dealer.

I agree...also I would be very cautious towing 4400lbs. if my top towing capacity were 5000. Are you accounting for the weight of the fluids in your boat? Something that many of us, older Explorers owners, use when towing is an electronic monitor gauge called "scangauge". It monitors your transmission temperature as you drive; as well of a variety of other functions. Now forgive my ignorance if newer Explorere info. displays make it obsolete or redundant. Good luck tio.

Thank you Gents, we'll see what they can do when I get there. But I did also find some at Advance Auto Zone...sad, but true. The salesperson at the boat dealer didn't even know what a WDH is, he has to get back to me on Tuesday.

Howdy Folks,

I've been researching and looking through all the threads here on towing. I for some really odd and obscure reason decided to take the plunge and buy a boat.

Well now I am looking for a proper WHD as prescribed by our Owners manual since the boat and trailer weigh a total of 4400lbs.

I am located in Homestead...so Miami, Ft. Lauderdale areas are reasonably locations for me to find a hitch.

ANYONE know of a place where I can find one of these contraptions? Also do I really need the Dual Cam or just the regular WDH? I mean do I really need Sway Control? For those of you I read your posts and no one mentions this little bit of hardware anywhere.

PLEASE HELP ME I pick up the boat on Tuesday....totally just didn't even think about the hitch requirements. Thank you and looking forward to everyone's input. I already learned a great deal reading folks threads when discussing this issue with towing.

Also not many 500lb Tongue/ 5000Lb max hitches.....most are 600lb, 800lb, and 1000lb....is the 600lb okay? Again thank you!!

Hello tio: A good place to get your hitch installed, would be a Camper/RV dealer, one of the largest ones is "Camping World" Google around and you will find one. I know Miami, and for something like that, with a nice brand new car under warranty, I would avoid the area. I would go North, Fort Lauderdale sounds good. *A 500lb Tongue/5000 Tow, is not that common. You can go w/ the 600lb rated.
*IMO. all you probably need is a WDH. (Reese or Valley are common good ones.)
*You do need a Brake Controller, that would control and regulate the trailer braking.
* A good retailer would match all of these components to your SUV and trailer and install them properly for you. (as I posted previously, I would consider a "Scangauge II" if your new EX doesn't display Transmission temp. I want to caution you that although your boat/trailer weight is within the possible, you will be at the upper side, if your Max. tow is 5000. I think that they sell Scangauges @ Camping World) Good luck, and happy boating...

PS.- TioM, do you know there's a sub-forum called "TOW RIG FORUM" ? Post your questions there, since it contains a bunch of veteran boaters that can help you.

Thank you very much, this was exactly the info I was looking for. I will continue to do my research and I'm confident that the weight will be good. I do have the 4WD and it has a totol of 10125 GCVW so deducting the 4400-4500 still gives me plenty to play with.....but I will examine that closely. I will be going to the scales before and after I boat up. Thank you again!!

Is it even possible to use a WDH on a boat trailer? A boat trailer tongue is quite a bit different than a travel trailer tongue. I use the Blue Ox Swaypro for towing my camper and there's no way it would have worked with my boat trailer. Just something you might want to look into.

Thanks man, I see there is a Camping World over where I'll be purchasing the boat at. Hopefully they're trailer expert guy is well an expert at this.

So a brake controller is a must then!

Is it even possible to use a WDH on a boat trailer? A boat trailer tongue is quite a bit different than a travel trailer tongue. I use the Blue Ox Swaypro for towing my camper and there's no way it would have worked with my boat trailer. Just something you might want to look into.

I found out today that boat trailers are completely different to other trailers. You are right a WDH will not work with this type of trailer and it would bend the frame of the trailer. Good news is thank god I didn't pick up a WDH already!

We'll see how she does, I was more confident after I spoke to a company that makes boat trailers Boat Master Trailers that it was uneccessary due to the fact that boats are more balanced on a boat trailer.

I guess the next thing I need to find out is whats the difference between surge and electric brakes on the trailer and how will this work with the connector and boat controller under the dash and the 7 wire to 5 wire deal...so much out there to learn!

Back