• Register Today It's free!

Anyone with access to Alldata?

03Mach1

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans, La
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
The rear end on my 03 X is starting to howl pretty good. Currently I have the 3.55 open diff but I have a FRPP trac loc sitting around so I figured I would get a new set of 3.55's and use the trac loc I already have to re-build it. Before I start calling around it would be nice to know how many hours Alldata says the job should take so I can see if someone is either wayyy cheap or trying to bend me over the work bench.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Differential Case

Replace

Rear Axle

Complete Assembly Without Transfer Of Parts

Includes: R&I Carrier Assy.

A 0.0 5.5hr

R&R Ring & Pinion, Add

A 0.0 1.0hr

R&R Side Bearings, Add

A 0.0 0.4hr

To R&R Gear Kit and/or Clutch Pack, Add

Without Locking

A 0.0 0.2hr

With Locking

A 0.0 0.5hr

To R&R Pinion Cups, Add

A 0.0 0.2hr

To Check Run-Out, Add

A 0.0 0.5hr

Complete Assembly With Transfer Of Parts

Without Locking Axle

A 0.0 6.0hr

With Locking Axle

A 0.0 6.3hr

so I gues I should be looking at somewhere in the 5 to 6.5 hour range correct. I am assuming that this takes into account the rear axle being in the truck correct?

Rear end in the tuck and I would say 6.3

Hey tower thanks for the help. I hate to be a bother but if I could ask one more favor of you. Not sure if you happened to see this thread

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324007

where my mechanic covered the CEL but I was wondering if you could tell me what alldata shows for the following.

Replace bulb in instrument cluster, also this is one that can not be accessed from the back so the cluster has to be opened up.

Next since the code I am getting is "Insufficient EGR flow" what does the book say it takes to remove and replace:

EGR
DPFE
EVR Solenoind

as thoes are the only things I could think of that would create the P0401 code that they used tape to fix rather than repair.

p401 is usually a bad DPFE sensor.

Also, I think that the rear differential has to be removed from the truck. I do not think there is sufficent clearance to remove the carrier assembly while the housing is still mounted in the truck.

Also, I think that the rear differential has to be removed from the truck. I do not think there is sufficent clearance to remove the carrier assembly while the housing is still mounted in the truck.

I realize the DPFE, which looking under the hood does look new however it was replaced at the end of Jan. when the shop put the new motor in so in theory they really could have just wipped it off to clean it up and the one they put in 6 months ago would look like they just replaced it.

I am mainly trying to figure out how much time the book said it would have taken them to pull the cluster and put tape over the CEL vs. what it would have taken them to replace all of the EGR related components if replacing the DPFE did not fix it.

As for the rear end it does have to come out of the truck, I was just making sure that the 6.3 hours tower provided me with covers that part of the process as well. Meaning I was confirming that the 5-6 hour range was not in addition to "X" hours to remove the diff and then put it back in after the gears were done if that makes sense.

I realize the DPFE, which looking under the hood does look new however it was replaced at the end of Jan. when the shop put the new motor in so in theory they really could have just wipped it off to clean it up and the one they put in 6 months ago would look like they just replaced it.

I am mainly trying to figure out how much time the book said it would have taken them to pull the cluster and put tape over the CEL vs. what it would have taken them to replace all of the EGR related components if replacing the DPFE did not fix it.

As for the rear end it does have to come out of the truck, I was just making sure that the 6.3 hours tower provided me with covers that part of the process as well. Meaning I was confirming that the 5-6 hour range was not in addition to "X" hours to remove the diff and then put it back in after the gears were done if that makes sense.

:thumbsup: maybe they pinched the wiring for the DPFE when installing the engine. Good luck.

To the OP, yes the rear diff does need to be removed to do any work inside, unfortunately. Only thing you can do with it installed is drain/fill the gear oil using the plugs. Even removing the cover requires you to drop it.

Here is a writeup for a rear locker install that might be helpful to you so you can see what's involved. It covers the diff removal/installation and has pics:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318076

Back