Anyone else here pile on the miles on their Explorer?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone else here pile on the miles on their Explorer??

mhallack

Reaction score
City, State
Rockland, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
This was something that had crossed my mind to ask since I do drive A LOT in our truck. My youngest son goes to a special needs school 45 miles away, two round trips a day= 180 miles a day X5 days a week (year round) is 900 miles a week (1448 km for you outside the USA :) ) So far the truck has only needed a few minor fixes and runs great, though a ton of $$$$ for gas :( But the school district does re-imburse us .50 a mile plus lunches for my son.

We are trying to save to get a 2nd car that gets better mileage, and use the Explorer for other rides. Right now our Ex has over 176,000 miles (283244 km) Anyone else drive an insane amount weekly? :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This was something that had crossed my mind to ask since I do drive A LOT in our truck. My youngest son goes to a special needs school 45 miles away, two round trips a day= 180 miles a day X5 days a week (year round) is 900 miles a week (1448 km for you outside the USA :) ) So far the truck has only needed a few minor fixes and runs great, though a ton of $$$$ for gas :( But the school district does re-imburse us .50 a mile plus lunches for my son.

We are trying to save to get a 2nd car that gets better mileage, and use the Explorer for other rides. Right now our Ex has over 176,000 miles (283244 km) Anyone else drive an insane amount weekly? :exp:

I just sold my 95 Explorer XLT 2WD with 240,000 miles on it. Although I've seen a few in here boast the big 300k.

My 96 EB AWD has 160kish (can't remember off the top of my head, just got it.)

Until I retired the X as a DD (When gas prices first hit > $3/gallon) I was driving it 70 miles a day just to/from work and then another couple hundred on the weekends..

Now that its not a DD its only getting < 5k miles a year.. and most of it is off-road.

We now have > 380k miles on it, but its gonna take a while to hit 400k.

Pic from back in 2004.
4998733621_395f693529.jpg

The higher mileage pics are not as clear :(

~Mark

I use mine to drive a route 6 days a week,240 miles a day and Ive had this job since november and havent had a single engine problem,my AC broke and ive ran through a set of tires but thats it and it runs better now than when I bought it, "til the wheels fall off homes!"

Getting up there...

My '94 Explorer Limited was getting lots of miles daily for a while because both my husband and I were using "her" for work. In totally opposite directions. She's getting a break now...only about 20 miles a day. But at a little over 206K I think she deserves it! We have a bogging/lack of power issue we're working on. Going to go out and "jump" the codes from the directions I found here. I may be posting later! LOL

I have an uncle who put 305k on a 1994 Limited Explorer. I begged him to sell it to me, but he sold it to someone at his church that "needed" it, like I don't need a reliable vehicle. I loved that Explorer! it never had any problems and my favorite thing was the ice-cold AC! We are having a merciless, brutal summer. I want to move to Alaska. I want to drive there in an Explorer!

Slightly off topic. I had a 1985 Toyota pickup with a 22R engine. I put 405,000 miles on that thing before it was lost to a crash on a slick road in December 2009. Now, I'm driving an old Nissan 720 that might never crash because it breaks down all the time. It spent several years in a barn at one point. Every time I take something apart, I find nests built and long since abandoned by paper wasps and mud daubers.

i travel around 200 miles a weekend and the a 20 mile trip one way each week day. right now the x is at 206000 still strong

Back