moisture in tail light

MGG

Reaction score
City, State
The Mitten
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS, 4.0, 2WD
02 explorer XLS 4.0,

I took the whole tail light assembly out and had it dry out in the house for 3 days.

No cracks and seals look good.

3 days later it has moisture in the bottom by the reverse light.

The thing is it didn't even rain...

How can this happen?

Where is the moisture coming from?

Condensate

The water is from the condensate in the light housing.

My 02 Explorer had a small hole in one of the taillights from a minor bump. After a while of doing nothing, condensation built up.

My solution sounds funny, but it worked for me. Take the tail light housing out and leave the bulbs hanging. With a rag and a little screwdriver, push the rag in the bulb holes and try to dry it out.

After that, I took my electric leafblower and blew air through the tail light until it was dry.

I then used super glue and red duct tape to cover the small hole for good.

If there are no cracks, perhaps you could find a gasket for the bulb holes or run some sealant along the crease of the assembly.

My 02 Explorer had a small hole in one of the taillights from a minor bump. After a while of doing nothing, condensation built up.

My solution sounds funny, but it worked for me. Take the tail light housing out and leave the bulbs hanging. With a rag and a little screwdriver, push the rag in the bulb holes and try to dry it out.

After that, I took my electric leafblower and blew air through the tail light until it was dry.

I then used super glue and red duct tape to cover the small hole for good.

If there are no cracks, perhaps you could find a gasket for the bulb holes or run some sealant along the crease of the assembly.

Sounds like a good approach to me. I have a leaf blower!

Back