• Register Today It's free!

Wheel hop/locking

masterpete

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLS
I have a 98 Explorer XLT 4x4. I've been having a problem recently with it. When I turn the wheel while driving it feels like the front wheels skip or lock up. It makes a load banging noise and the steering locks up. Once it does turn it makes a grinding noise. Doesn't really feel safe to drive. The cv joints all look good and the wheel bearings are also fine. However within the last few days the 4x4 lights flash. Took the fuse out and it still happens. Somewhat at a loss right now. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

Pete

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the truck is stuck in 4 high. Could be a transfer case issue.

Sounds like the truck is stuck in 4 high. Could be a transfer case issue.

Skipped over your post somehow. Well it only happens sometimes. Also the 4x4 worked great last year and hasn't been touched been touched in probably 5 months. My sister uses this Explorer and she has a 4 year old and is about to have another child. She is worried about driving it until it gets fixed. Not even sure where to begin.

Any codes to begin with ? If you say the front end is fine then the next place to look is the transfer case

Any codes to begin with ? If you say the front end is fine then the next place to look is the transfer case

I dont have a scan tool to read the 4x4 codes. Front end does look fine. Cv joints aren't split, the wheels don't budge when in air.

you don't necessarily have to read them to begin with, just at least confirm if it blows a code , ie check engine light is on

you don't necessarily have to read them to begin with, just at least confirm if it blows a code , ie check engine light is on

There was a check engine light on. My sister's husband unhooked the battery so it reset. However the check engine light was always on for a different problem. Could the shift motor on the t-case be trying to engage itself? I know that its always "auto" 4x4 so maybe the front tires are thinking the rear is slipping?

So what could cause the wheel to lock up? What can I test? Need to do something soon because the Explorer isn't really drivable.

Sounds like classic drivetrain binding due to a transfer case stuck in 4WD. You can do the brown wire modification to electrically prevent the t case from engaging the front axle. When the steering no longer binds, you will know that was the problem. Driving the vehicle with a locked transfer case on pavement will soon cause more serious damage.

Sounds like classic drivetrain binding due to a transfer case stuck in 4WD. You can do the brown wire modification to electrically prevent the t case from engaging the front axle. When the steering no longer binds, you will know that was the problem. Driving the vehicle with a locked transfer case on pavement will soon cause more serious damage.

So basically need a transfer case? Well that's not good. I was just reading that even though the wheel bearings look fine they could still be the problem?

Possibly, but the brown wire mod is free and relatively simple to do. It would help narrow down the problem. Even if it is the T-case, all is not lost. It can be fixed or a used one from a salvage yard can be used.

This might sound like a stupid question, but are the same size wheels and TIRES on the front and rear of the vehicle?

Dumb question, but is there enough power steering fluid in the pump?

When mine has some air in it, it will feel like the front wheels are hopping/binding up and mine is 2wd. It will feel just like a 4WD if you are turning with it the transfercase in 4wd.

Back