driving after ABS light comes on. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

driving after ABS light comes on.

ABS light brakes drop out

thanks i'll try that today. let you know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 94 Ranger and my ABS light will come on if the Brake fluid gets low shortly followed by both ABS light and Emergency Brake light.

replaced speed/ABS sensor yesterday and the light has gone off. the brake pedal still is acting up. i'll give it a couple of cycles before i replace the power brake cylinder. thanks

Don't buy something like this from Chinazone please. Unless its a Ford part or a name brand you recognize on the box, go elsewhere. I will just say that darn near every single part I bought from them was low quality. Theres been only one exception, I bought a TIMKEN hub bearing there once. (Name brand I trust)
Especially since (according to another poster) the part from Ford is only $8 more.
______________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT: I just looked this part up on Tousley Ford dot com. (Hes a forum vendor) The Ford part thru them for the everyday Joe walking in off the street is $18.45. Forum member? They offer us a discount.

______________________________________________________________________________________

FYI - Autozone (Duralast sensors to be specific)

For the record I have nothing at all to do with Autozone/Duralast/Wells Manufacturing, just figured I'd post some useful info.

Duralast products are engineered and manufactured by Wells Manufacturing, a leading global supplier of advanced vehicle electronics solutions for original equipment and replacement applications.

Wells Manufacturing is in Wisconsin, USA.
They do have a manufacturing plant in Mexico but that doesn't mean much since a majority of O.E. parts are now manufactured in Mexico including many Motorcraft parts.
http://www.wellsve.com/press_autozonemexico.html

Please watch their company tour video -
http://www.wellsve.com/video_tour.html

Every component either matches or improves on the OE design to ensure fast, easy installation, superior performance and reliability. Wells offers extensive application information and technical support via its Tech Line at 1-800-558-9770, as well as in-depth product and repair videos at www.wellsVE.com and through the “Wellstech” channel at www.YouTube.com .

http://www.wellsve.com/index.html

Wells Vehicle Electronics
26 South Brooke St.
Fond du Lac, WI 54935

I have a '96 XLT with AWD that only has 66K miles on it, but it lives outside and we're in the country, so mileage isn't a big problem, but general weathering and age is.

I was chasing a similar problem with the ABS light staying on. First thing I did was to replace the rear sensor because it's cheap and easy to get at. That didn't get the light to go out.

After reading here about getting codes pulled, I found out my local independent shop has a scanner that will pull ABS codes, but I figured I would check the resistance of the front sensors first. As I traces the wire from the right front sensor to find the connector, I found a place where little rodents had chewed almost all the way through the cable. Bingo!

Cut the outer jacket back on both ends, stripped and tinned the wires, then soldered them and covered with heat shrink tubing on the individual wires and over the outer jacket as well. Started up and the ABS light is out.

Moral of the story is to check wiring and connectors carefully before you just go replacing parts.

So I was looking through the scan tools that advance sells and some of the scanners can now read ABS codes. So I called Advance and they had upgraded their scanners so that they can now pull the ABS codes. I had them pull the one on mine, replaced the part that was faulty, and so far so good. Just letting everyone know that the dealership isn't your only option anymore to have your ABS code read. At least the parts stores here are upgrading their scanners to read ABS codes.

I know it's an old thread but where did they connect the scan tool to read the ABS codes? Through the OBD2 port like a check engine code or is there another port to connect to? I didn't think ABS codes came from the OBD port which is why I ask but I have no clue where else they can connect the scanner.

My 95 has a ABS light and the parts store here claimed their scanners can read OBD1 and 2, and ABS codes but they weren't sure about my case w/ OBD1 and ABS codes. I want to make sure when I go back I know exactly where a scanner needs to be plugged into so I can see for sure if their scanner has the correct adapter.

I have a abs kill switch and it disrupts the sensor causing the computer to shut off the abs. Im not entirely sure but I would say that the only thing difference is that you no longer have ABS if the lights on.

I know it's an old thread but where did they connect the scan tool to read the ABS codes? Through the OBD2 port like a check engine code or is there another port to connect to? I didn't think ABS codes came from the OBD port which is why I ask but I have no clue where else they can connect the scanner.

My 95 has a ABS light and the parts store here claimed their scanners can read OBD1 and 2, and ABS codes but they weren't sure about my case w/ OBD1 and ABS codes. I want to make sure when I go back I know exactly where a scanner needs to be plugged into so I can see for sure if their scanner has the correct adapter.

For the ABS light it has to be checked with a special scanner via the Ford port plug which located under the hood next to the main fuse box on the drivers side. There should be a separate plug with a black cover over it just in front of the main fuse box.

For the ABS light it has to be checked with a special scanner via the Ford port plug which located under the hood next to the main fuse box on the drivers side. There should be a separate plug with a black cover over it just in front of the main fuse box.

Are you talking about the EEC-IV port? That's where that is. Sounds like that's what you're describing.

Really what I want to know is if ABS codes can be read by an OBD1 scanner using the EEC-IV port. If not, where is the port to read ABS codes?

Back