Is it possible to rollstart a 5-speed Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it possible to rollstart a 5-speed Explorer?

cantornikolaos

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Limited 5.0
Callsign
BigTime
I had a 91 Sport 5-Speed for a little while, but never had to roll-start it. It just started every time I turned the key. My current POS would actually be bearable if I could rollstart it. It can't be roll started and I found that out the hard way. I thought anything manual could be, but apparently that's not the case. I'm sick of it and want to be rid of the troublesome, unreliable vehicle that it is and find another old X or an old 'Yota or anything that isn't a shoppinglist of problems and is dirt, and I mean dirt cheap because unlike Joel Osteen, I've never been financially blessed. That is a long sentence, but like the Hardee's commercial says, "That's just the way it is".

Getting on to the point of this thread, can a 5-speed Explorer be rollstarted? I really hope it can. A Toyota truck I had in the past could rollstart if you could roll it even 3'! I even rollstarted it in reverse! It was a truck that would not get stuck someplace if it could help it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah you can roll start your explorer and I know because I have done it multiple times. We have made the pull start, the roll down the hill start, and then the push off start....

You have to have the key in the "run" position then follow normal roll start procedures.

You can roll start it, but you have to have enough juice in the battery to run the electric fuel pump and ignition system.

It would be cool to convert an Explorer to run with a carburetor and mechanical fuel pump.

I've started my 96 rolling backwards down a hill when my started died, didnt take much to start it once I had it rolling.

It would be cool to convert an Explorer to run with a carburetor and mechanical fuel pump.

Because these engines aren't inefficient enough as it is.

Because that would make them more simple and rugged.

Because that would make them more simple and rugged.

Carboration and mechanical fuel pump = very bad idea. I don't know if you've ever dealt with a carborated car but they are a pain in the a$$. Try taking a turn at a decent speed, body roll alone will cause the engine to stutter. Don't even get me started on how incredibly inefficient carboration is. Mechanical pumps can still fail, and its not pretty when they do.

EFI is great. I will admit for someone who even a couple years ago didn't want to touch electronics, it can be a little troublesome if something brakes. The key is to break it down, and treat it like you would any other mechanical system. There are only so many things that can happen. You need a certain amount of inputs and you get another number of outputs.

The only carborator I deal with is on my lawnmower and my boat, and even the boat I want to convert to EFI. Anyone know how to do that on a 4.6L Volvo V6?

Carbs are not that bad, just need the right one (predator). I'd take a mechanical pump over an in tank electric pump any day of the week. I still like fuel injection though, you just have to be willing to learn it. Once you learn it youre good to go.

I'll have to disagree on this one. EFI is superior to a carb in every way except for cost, and complexity. Especially offroad, even my well tuned Truck Avenger on my 351 will sputter, surge, and die at extreme angles. Plus you have to tinker with it. EFI will run upside down and its pretty much worry free. Why do you think companies have no problems selling EFI kits for $2k? Cause its worth it. At least to me anyways. Carbs are fine for mild stuff and street, but anything hardcore and you will be hating life.

Hijack Over, now back to your regularly scheduled posting...

Back