How to turn-off all lights with tailgate open? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to turn-off all lights with tailgate open?

artnalex

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
I want to go to the drive-in with my kids, but I can't seem to be able to turn-off all the inside lights while the tailgate is open.

Anyone know how to do it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want to go to the drive-in with my kids, but I can't seem to be able to turn-off all the inside lights while the tailgate is open.

Anyone know how to do it?

I'd like to hear the answer to this too!

For the older generations it was as simple as turning the instrument panel dimmer all the way down until it clicks, not sure if this functionality continued but its worth a try.

According to the book under "Battery saver"

"The battery saver will shut off the exterior lamps and interior lamps, except the hazard warning lamps if activated, 10 minutes after the ignition control as been turned off. the system will not turn off the parking lamps if they are on."

I can confirm while installing stereo stuff last night that 10 mins after opening the rear gate all the lights inside turned off, I had to turn the key on/off again to get them to come back on.

Hmmm. Will this still work if the radio is "on" (but car not running)?

Nowadays, drive-in theaters require you to use your radio to obtain the voice for the movie.

Nowadays, drive-in theaters require you to use your radio to obtain the voice for the movie.

I don't see anything in the manual about battery saver shutting off the stereo, however I think it shuts off the ignition automatically after 30 minutes (that may only be on push button start models though). I'd be interested in the answer on this one too.

Yes. My radio turns off after about 20-30 minutes if it is not running. Not sure if it will if you have a door open. I've always been washing it when the radio turns off. Seems keeping all doors and windows closed keeps the interior dry. ;)

I don't see anything in the manual about battery saver shutting off the stereo, however I think it shuts off the ignition automatically after 30 minutes (that may only be on push button start models though). I'd be interested in the answer on this one too.

That's probably what it is doing because you have to have the ignition on for the radio to play.
I miss the accessory part that was to the left of off in older vehicles.......

There should (I'm 99% sure there isn't so don't go looking on my account :) ) be voice commands like "Interior lights off". Must be a way to turn it off, if you are turning ambient lighting on, etc?

Hmm - apparently this has been an Edge issue since 2008? Doesn't someone at Ford read these forums for bug reports and feature requests?

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=2491

You SoCal guys still have drive-in movies? NorCal closed its last on last March, I miss the drive-in :( Let me know on the light issue, have 8 grandkids, the light on would be not good.

You SoCal guys still have drive-in movies? NorCal closed its last on last March, I miss the drive-in :( Let me know on the light issue, have 8 grandkids, the light on would be not good.

We even have them here in Canada :)

OK. I did the following:

(1) had only radio on (car ignition off), lifted the tailgate, locked all the doors (tailgate still open), and waited 15 minutes. Lights stayed on.

(2) had only radio on (car ignition off), lifted the tailgate, locked all the doors (tailgate still open), and tried to dim the interior lights. I think you can only dim the interior lights when all doors are closed (including tailgate). So, obviously...that doesn't work either.

(3) had only radio on (car ignition off), lifted the tailgate, unlocked all the doors,......... and that didn't work either.

So....I have no idea how to get the lights to go off......without manually pulling a fuse.

OK. I did the following:

(1) had only radio on (car ignition off), lifted the tailgate, locked all the doors (tailgate still open), and waited 15 minutes. Lights stayed on.

(2) had only radio on (car ignition off), lifted the tailgate, locked all the doors (tailgate still open), and tried to dim the interior lights. I think you can only dim the interior lights when all doors are closed (including tailgate). So, obviously...that doesn't work either.

(3) had only radio on (car ignition off), lifted the tailgate, unlocked all the doors,......... and that didn't work either.

So....I have no idea how to get the lights to go off......without manually pulling a fuse.

Time to wire up a switch to the interior lighting fuses :)

OK. I did the following:

Since virtually everything is controlled electrically via the computer why not add a voice command like calb suggested and an option within MFT. Seems like a simple command to code into MFT unless of course the interior lights are not wired to the module controlled by the computer, like the ambient lighting is.

Since virtually everything is controlled electrically via the computer why not add a voice command like calb suggested and an option within MFT. Seems like a simple command to code into MFT...
It may be simple to you...but I have no idea how to add a voice command. How do you add a voice command that is not already a pre-prgrammed option?

It may be simple to you...but I have no idea how to add a voice command. How do you add a voice command that is not already a pre-prgrammed option?

And this is exactly why it would be great if Ford finally got around to implementing the app development stuff mentioned elsewhere on this forum. If they don't have the desire/manpower to address these issues give the tools to the folks here who love to play with this stuff... That's what makes the iPhone/iPod so great, the xBox connect thingee, etc.

I have a way to turn off the lights with the lift gate open. What I don't know is how long the radio will stay on. I have done this many times and soccer games.

0: Park car turn turn off car
1: Put ignition in accessory
2: turn radio
3: Open lift gate any way you like. .
4: Get a pencil, pen of anything thin
5: Push the latch that locks the lift gate closed, how located above your head on the lift gate
6: Wait about 30 seconds for the interior light to dim then go out
7: Listen to radio, Unknown time, 30 min to 1 hour before the computer steps in a shuts everything off
8: IMPORTANT unlock lift gate manually, push button an handle, Not Button on bottom of lift gate.
9: MANUALLY close lift gate.

Ford and many auto makers have put the switch inside the locking mechanism of the door that control the interior lightss.

I'l try that tonight. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats an idea, I agree Ford should add a voice command, come on its PC.

Back