• Register Today It's free!

Used engine noises

Cactuslegs

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
I've just spent the entire summer putting a used engine in my dad's explorer. I replaced damn near every gasket except the head gaskets while rebuilding it. Timing chain cover, oil pan, front and rear seals, intake, valve cover, valve stem seals, throttle body, exhaust manifold, IAC gasket, etc. After finally getting it all back together it is a lot louder than it used to be with the old engine. It doesn't smoke any until you give it some gas, then it spews white smoke non stop, and the more you rev it the more smoke. It almost sounds like the rods are tapping, like there's no oil in it, but it's full! I haven't checked to see if the oil pump is working, but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Here's a link to a vid. showing the sound and the smoke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU1KqPL6cbw

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The pushrods in the used engine looked more worn out than my dad's old ones, so I might tear it down and replace them and the rocker arms with his original ones....

What do you guys think if I just try some lucas in it first?

That's kinda what I figured too, but man I really don't feel like taking it all apart again *sigh

Are you sure that new motor doesnt have cracked heads or bad headgaskets?

No idea on the heads or gaskets. That's where I stopped tearing it down. My dad's heads were cracked, but the guy who got me this engine swears by the yard he got it from, and he's pretty trustworthy to m, so I wasn't concerned with the heads and head gaskets

I could just do a compression test to find out about the heads/gaskets, right. And also I could just check the oil level while its running to make sure the oil pump is working? I.E. the level will be higher than it would if it were off, right?

Do a compression test for the heads/gaskets and hook up an oil pressure gauge where the stock sender goes. Thatll answer all your questions. :thumbsup:

Exhaust will have an obvious coolant smell if headgasket were the cause of that smoke.

Back