• Register Today It's free!

mustang throttle body on explorer

Braydon

Reaction score
City, State
West Haven, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
does anyone out there have an actual picture of an explorer with the mustang throttle body on it? i want to put on my explorer, but i was looking at the mustang one that is suppose to fit (99-04 v2 4.6 mustange) and it doesnt look right. is my information wrong on the type on stang i need? or am i just being paranoid about it.

anything will help thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think they are compatible. I bought one from a mustang board a few years back thinking it would work on my 2000 explorer. the design is a little bit different and won't fit. I'm not sure if all of the mustangs use the same body or not. I still have mine sitting in my closet.

oh alright. well is there any other tb that will fit on my explorer besides a bbk one?

Yes, a modified stock one.

I have heard storys of swapping the 5.0 throttle body on to a first gen explorer any one done that successfully.

What do you hope to gain with a different TB? I put a TB from a 4.6L Mustang on my old SOHC Sport and the results were underwhelming to say the least.

I have a stock TB on my 5.0 equipped EB. It was ported and polished. Even then, results were marginal, if not psychologically better. I did it because the entire TB, with p&p was only $50.

will the 5.0 tb fit on the OHC explorer? Or is there nothing else that will just bolt on?

No. Even if it would, you wouldn't gain anything on an unmodified engine such as yours. It would be a bigger waste of money than that CAI was.

whatever you say. that "waste of money"only cost 10 bucks, and got me 5 more mpg.. it paid for itself in the first fill up. you all can say crap about cai's all you want, but i wont own a car without one.

5 MPG my a**

You're joking... right?

I'm a CAI proponent and would kill for a 5 mpg boost. I'm not buying it either.

I have a BBK. I have a CAI. I have a cat back. I saw 1-2MPG difference combined. That's it on the Explorer. Biggest gain I got was a smoother & free revving motor. Throttle response increased. But because it did, I'm hard on the gas & that effectively kills any mileage gain.

On other cars however. Ones geared for performance, a CAI & TB has dyno'd gains in all aspects. Like the ones on my Acura. The platform is the biggest difference.
A 93 explore is not a performance machine the way it sits. You'd have to open the motors, port the heads, add a cam, etc to see the gains. There's thread on that somewhere about a 300HP NA 4.0 OHV.

But OP a mustang does not line up. I originally bought one too. The wires are not in the same place either they would need to be extended to reach the connector.

BTW.... I had the same setups on 3 Explorers & a Bronco II. All were about the same for gains. In fact 1 I had a custom tuned chip & had to run 93 to see any gains. There's was some but not worth the $300 for it.

I have the KKM intake,, an aluminum intake pipe, recently have cleaned and flowmatched all 6 injectors, cleaned my upper and lower intake manifold, optimized my throttle body, have an electric fan, screaming demon coil, indexed plugs and have even thrown on a dynomax cat back and magnaflow catalytic converter, to top things off, I have converted every bulb in my truck into LEDs to reduce the load on my charging system.... ALL in the effort of getting more fuel economy out of my explorer and having a point of reference to tell people how well things work.

I think I know what works, how well it works, and what doesn't work for getting fuel economy out of an explorer.

Wanna tell me again about 5mpg from a junk parts store filter?

Unfortunately, the drawback to having full custody of all three of my kids is the fact that I haven't had time to rebuild my engine, especially since my other two cars were destroyed by the flooding I have been having up here. However, when that does, I'll be changing cams and doing a little head work.

the idea behind the 5.0 tb is to build a system to get the air intake to allow the 4.0 to get the air it needs because every one that has ever modified a first gen explorer knows that the biggest and cheapest choke point to fix is its air intake. just by ditching the stalk air box you can gain 4-5 hp. but little things like the tb aren't for instant hp gain its part of the system and the process. because every little thing you modify is for tenths of a horse power but in the end it adds up now the question was dose the 5.0 tb transfer over not dose it make a big difference if you cant answer the question why do you bother chiming in.

the idea behind the 5.0 tb is to build a system to get the air intake to allow the 4.0 to get the air it needs because every one that has ever modified a first gen explorer knows that the biggest and cheapest choke point to fix is its air intake. just by ditching the stalk air box you can gain 4-5 hp. but little things like the tb aren't for instant hp gain its part of the system and the process. because every little thing you modify is for tenths of a horse power but in the end it adds up now the question was dose the 5.0 tb transfer over not dose it make a big difference if you cant answer the question why do you bother chiming in.

1: Ditching the stock air box will not gain you 4-5 hp. Try an gain closer to 1-2 hp, if that.

2: I already answered whether or not it transferred over. I then went on to say it wouldn't make an appreciable difference anyways. Try rereading my earlier statement in response to whether or not it will fit.

No. Even if it would, you wouldn't gain anything on an unmodified engine such as yours.

If you want an aftermarket throttle body, this is the one that fits. BBK Throttle Body

You can accomplish the same gains as the BBK can give on an unmodified engine by optimizing your throttle body. This involves cutting away half of the shaft holding the butterfly, grinding the other half down thinner, putting countersunk screws in and grinding the bottoms of them off so they are flush with the shaft, sanding/polishing the opening smooth and even opening it up a little more. Many people also like to knife-edge their butterfly when they do this.

the biggest choke point is in this order-valves,lower intake and maf!!the stock tb will flow fine intill you open up the rest,then you will run lean at wot and there is not a cheap way to tune these motors:rolleyes:

when i bought my 93 i was getting around 19 mpg, i put on a cold air intake (completely bypass the stock intake and put a cone filter right before the maf, cone sitting in the engine bay, located where the old air box was) now i average 23-24 mpg, so in my book it was definitely worth the whole 10 bucks for a filter which i bought from my buddy, not a cheap ass parts store.. and just today, i put on a magnaflow muffler so i have upgraded intake and exhaust now, still have to wait and see the results of the new muffler. you also have to calculate in the fact that i like to get on the throttle, so maybe if you drive like your 80 then you might not notice anything worth while. but i have seen better fuel economy, and slightly faster acceleration.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no one has talked about a tb spacer. i slapped on a motorvation tb spacer when i did a few other things al at once. i gained a few mpg when i did them. they included- new autolite platinums (maybe coppers cant remember), 8mm wires from summit, motorvation tb spacer, ifab "cold air intake" from ebay, an ebay-special high flow cat, flowmaster 40series, fuel system cleaner, and took apart the maf & throttle body and cleaned them. all of these things added, if memory serves correct, about 5mpg all together. but fyi i have 4.56 gears to turn my 35s.

Back