Sync Schedueled Maintenance Black Screen of Death | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync Schedueled Maintenance Black Screen of Death

Torper7

Reaction score
City, State
New York city
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT 4WD

I am sure this has been posted before. Yesterday when I started my explorer, a schedueled maintenance event popped up on my touch screen. The "maintenance" never fully completes, the blue oval pops up on the screen, and than we go to black again, followed by a millisecond of some error showing up on the screen that I could never make out. This happens three or four times before the system completely shuts down. At that point, i can no longer turn the system on using the volume (power) button.

Outside of bringing it to the dealership, is there anything i can do to remedy this? I have been reading about a "master reset" of SYNC, but i am not entirely sure how to do this. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am sure this has been posted before. Yesterday when I started my explorer, a schedueled maintenance event popped up on my touch screen. The "maintenance" never fully completes, the blue oval pops up on the screen, and than we go to black again, followed by a millisecond of some error showing up on the screen that I could never make out. This happens three or four times before the system completely shuts down. At that point, i can no longer turn the system on using the volume (power) button.

Outside of bringing it to the dealership, is there anything i can do to remedy this? I have been reading about a "master reset" of SYNC, but i am not entirely sure how to do this. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Pull fuse 29 - the fusebox is mounted just to the left and parallel with the drivers legs. Look by the parking brake. Wait for a couple minutes then reposition it.

If that doesn't work - unhook the negative battery cable and leave sit for a few minutes.

The master reset is done from within MFT/Sync - so if your system isn't even booting then you cannot do that.

-J

Just checked that general area and this is what i see ..... a whole bunch of wires out in the open attached to one another and a small plastic black box. are the fuses located within that box? If so, how is it opened? I know very little about this stuff. thanks.

Do you version 2.11?

Mine with the new resets itself after a minute or so.

No idea which version I am running. How do I upgrade, is that done at the dealership as well?

Yes, only at the dealer. If you don't know what you have, it will be one of the older versions like 2.8.

Go to www.syncmyride.com and register. Only then can you find your version (or at the dealer).

No idea which version I am running. How do I upgrade, is that done at the dealership as well?

Hi Torper7!

If you are getting an error code and then a black screen, please see your dealership. They will be able to diagnose the problem and get your MFT back up and running. You can try a fuse pull like jrmexplorer suggested. The fuse box is the black box with numbers on it. There should be a tab on it that releases the lid and a fuse puller inside of the lid. The lid will also tell you where to find fuse #29.

I can get your version for you. Private message me your VIN and I will look it up.

Rebecca

Just checked that general area and this is what i see ..... a whole bunch of wires out in the open attached to one another and a small plastic black box. are the fuses located within that box? If so, how is it opened? I know very little about this stuff. thanks.

Just pull the cover off. Inside the cover there is a white tweezers attached to the inside of the cover that is a fuse puller. Each fuse will have a number on it - this is the amperage of the fuse - NOT THE FUSE NUMBER. You will want to pull fuse 29. Also on the back cover of the fuse box is a diagram of fuses showing which fuse is which fuse number. Fuse 29 is all the way on the left of the box - second row from the top (if I am remembering correctly - check the back of the cover of the box to be sure). Pull it out with the tweezers for 30 seconds - 60 seconds (or longer if you wish) and then push it back in. Be sure it's seated properly (it's kinda tricky because my fingers are large and the fuse is so small!) - then try restarting your car.

Do you version 2.11?

Mine with the new resets itself after a minute or so.

I've found that myself where my screen wouldn't turn on with the car. Although I've also had lockups where I've had to turn off the car and open the door - wait 30 secs or so and then retry.

All - I took the truck in this morning for service. I never tried the fuse pull. I'm not to handy when it comes to any vehicles. They replaced what they called a faulty APIM module, and they updated the software to the latest version. It's working so far, but I only drove it from the dealer to my house ...... Only time will tell. Thanks to everyone for the help.

All - I took the truck in this morning for service. I never tried the fuse pull. I'm not to handy when it comes to any vehicles. They replaced what they called a faulty APIM module, and they updated the software to the latest version. It's working so far, but I only drove it from the dealer to my house ...... Only time will tell. Thanks to everyone for the help.

What was your build date?

Not sure about the build date. How can I find that out. Why do you ask?

Not sure about the build date. How can I find that out. Why do you ask?

It seems like the faulty APIMs were in early build models (pre March); so I was wondering if yours was a recent build.

Back