• Register Today It's free!

AC issue

4.6EXPLORERFAN

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer
So, I've done some searching for this issue and I'm not seeing anything so here goes. A couple of weeks ago my air didn't feel quite so cold and was warm on the passenger side. I let it go until today and stopped by to pick up a can of 134 figuring I was just a little low. Problem is the air never got cold and the PSI showed 25. It got close to 40 and then dropped but it didn't feel like the can was emptying so I gave up. I noticed that all of the lines in the engine bay were actually frosted over. I'm pretty sure that the compressor was running but never actually heard it cycle, just heard it turn on when I turned the AC in the truck. The air is cool on the driver side but not cold. Any ideas? This seems to be the year of the Explorer in this family as she is been rackin' up the bills since February. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, especially if it will save me a few bucks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My guess would be to check the blend door. It is a common problem and might not be fully opening of closing.

Just so that I understand...The blend door would be possibly not closing all the way allowing it to mix warm air and the air conditioned to go together? Guess I just don't get why I get 2 different temps and why it didn't seem to be taking any of the 134 in even though pressure is low. I will look into the blend door thing for starts though. Thanks.

i just did this, same symptom too. Yes its slow going in adding freon. Couple of tips that might help? When i first open and start adding freon the pressure will jump to like 70psi but as the systems distributes what you add it will come back down; also make sure the A/C clutch is constantly running; it does take a long time to get stuff in there; i also find that as the can gets cold it loses pressure, so what i do is try it over several days so the can warms up. Plug it in for 5-10 minutes or when the can gets cold remove and repeat the next day till the can is empty or when all the vents get cold.

By the way if you have Rear Air the system takes about 56oz each can is like 8oz. It might take a few cans. . .

Ok, so I'm gonna attempt to add the rest of the can today and probably pick up another one. Little worried about where it all went, but haven't used it that much since I ride the motorcycle in the summer most of the time. Is there a common place these things spring leaks or is this pretty typical of these things? Also, I'm using Prestone Synthetic 134 that's $12 a can. I've seen others for $6 to $8 a can. Safe to use?

from what i understand any 134a is the same, 'synthetic' might be more marketing then anything else. If it says 134 its gota be 1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane. . .not sure about the additives. I'd save the money get the cheapest 134a, imo. or i buy the one with the sealant and dye as additives.

its a big system with a lot of little o-rings everywhere. One tip on detecting a leak, if you add it and it get cold for a day or two, then warms up - most likely its a leak. Usually when i fill it up it will last for a long time. But as these get older the seals start to leak. Also the Condenser in front might have taken a hit which most often has been the cause of my leaks. If it doesn't seem to ever fill up you want to be sure to add the dye (some cans have it) and pick up a UV light and check for leaks. Sometimes they are obvious, other time not. Best time to check is at night or in the dark the dye (green usually) will stick out more.

put your can of r134a into hot water as you add it to the system.

If the lines are frosting over its because of one of two reasons in my experience.

A. There is a restriction in the line and pressure is building behind it, and when it passes the restriction the pressure is much lower and it evaporates chilling the line instead of doing this at the orifice tube and evaporator.

B. The evaporator is flooded from too much freon or a faulty orifice tube allowing too much through, and can't evaporate all of it and liquid freon flown out of it into the accumulator, where it accumulates as it should so as not to allow liquid into the compressor (very bad news, because liquid is not compressible) and evaporates there, frosting the line.

Which line is frosting over, the low side or the high side.

Don't remember which line was frosting but picked up another can today after finishing the first. Warming up the can definately made a difference. After most of the second can went in the air finally turned cold on both sides. Passenger side is just slightly off from the driverside, but guessing if it was out on the highway and not just sitting in the heat idling it would be much better. Thanks for all the advice. I'll be posting another question real soon.

If the lines are frosting over its because of one of two reasons in my experience.

A. There is a restriction in the line and pressure is building behind it, and when it passes the restriction the pressure is much lower and it evaporates chilling the line instead of doing this at the orifice tube and evaporator.

B. The evaporator is flooded from too much freon or a faulty orifice tube allowing too much through, and can't evaporate all of it and liquid freon flown out of it into the accumulator, where it accumulates as it should so as not to allow liquid into the compressor (very bad news, because liquid is not compressible) and evaporates there, frosting the line.

Which line is frosting over, the low side or the high side.

are thses condensors prone to leak easily?

I wouldn't say that they are prone to leaking, but its not all that uncommon either. The most likely places for leaks are at the fittings throughout the system.

I'm gonna have to shoot some dye in there and see what I find

Back