• Register Today It's free!

Block heater?

Jimmy-B

Reaction score
City, State
Falls Church, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
Has anyone fitted a block heater to their new Explorer? I wanted to include one in my 2012 (on order) but apparently the option is 'fleet only' :mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone fitted a block heater to their new Explorer? I wanted to include one in my 2012 (on order) but apparently the option is 'fleet only' :mad:
I have the 2011 Limited and the block heater was standard equipment on it.

You can always buy an aftermarket one and put it on. They're readily available.

in in ND everycar here comes with one as standard from the ford dealer

I could (and I guess I will) fit an aftermarket one. It's just irritating when it's a $35 option for fleet customers and standard for AK, MN, ND, SD, MT, WI and WY - and Canada, I guess.

I have always wondered what a block heater was for. What exactly does it do? The only time I've ever asked the dealer about it, he said don't get one. I live in Maine, I thought it was something for cold climates.

I have always wondered what a block heater was for. What exactly does it do? The only time I've ever asked the dealer about it, he said don't get one. I live in Maine, I thought it was something for cold climates.

I wasn't sure exactly what a block heater did (other than heating the block!), only that cold weather climates seemed to make them desirable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_heater

That answered my questions :)

Happy driving.

Being Canadian, hearing that a block heater is offered as an option sounds weird. So yes, all vehicles in Canada have block heaters.

Helps the truck start in EXTREMELY cold weather. Allows the heater and defroster to work faster.

Don't worry about the block heater. Get the remote start function instead. Works great to prewarm the cabin and engine.

If you decide you still want the block heater, work it into your deal, and make the sale contingent on it. Parts (there are 2 main parts to the kit) are about $250 (retail) and figure about 1 hour labor for the dealership. Use these number to negotiate a fair deal. Then buy a very high quality extension cord that stays flexible in the cold weather. IIRC, I bought a 30 foot cord, Huskey brand, 12 or 14 gauge, blue in color, from Home Depot for about $60.

Back