• Register Today It's free!

MAF and Pwr. Steering

91explorer1009

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
I want to know what I can use to clean my maf whats the product called, what is safe?? I have searched and all, I cam up with denatured alcohol, but there has to be something else I can pick up easier at an auto parts store. Some type of engine cleaner, what works well and is safe on the filaments??? Also one more ? sorry if its dumb, but is power steering fluid general to all makes and models, I just see a universal, I mean it says ford, but do I need a model specific, I picked up some for Ford high mileage...etc. Is that good? Thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've used brake parts cleaner on my MAF, spray it on the end of a cotton swab and then gently clean the filaments. I also use plain power steering fluid. I dont know if its the right one or not.

Denatured rubbing alcohol or electrical contact cleaner swabbed over the filaments not poured or sprayed is your safest bet for the electrical component. Brake cleaner may work but can leave a film on the filament reducing it's sensitivity. The housing itself can be cleaned using an 02 sensor safe carb cleaner if it needs it. As for the power steering fluid believe it or not Ford specifies Type F automatic transmision fluid in the power steering reservoir.
Glen

Definitely Type F tranny fluid for your pump.

Brake parts cleaner is not reccomended at all! It's way to harsh.

Use electrical contact cleaner. It's made for electronic components. It won't leave any residue and it evaporates super quick. I use foam tipped swabs made for electrical devices to clean the filament. Q-tips can shed. With the foam tips you can rub the filament to get all the varnish off without leaving anything behind.

Hey guys, first off I have looked for type f power steering fluid, but could not find any. All of the different kinds did not specify what type they were, they would say, for use in ford chryslyer gm, etc. Some said for honda cars, some said for squeals, and leaks, but no type f, any special brand?, the whole pep boys store did not have type f, it is hard to believe I can't use Valvoline syn blend, when on the back it says for ford cars. Also, I have searched high and low for denatured alcohol also. Drug stores, to auto parts stores, so it apparently isnt that easy to get, I even asked a pharmacist. I picked up a can of elecrical cleaner, by crc, red and black can, I hope that is ok. If not there has to be another product actually on pep boys shelf that I can use, any names??? Well thanks guys, I cant beleive it is so specific with these hard to find products. Of course its not just, "sure use rubbing alcohol", there are tons of those on the shelf, or "just make sure the fluid says its for ford vehicles on the back"... stumped here :confused:

The CRC product is fine. Type F is a type of tranny fluid. I haven't had to look for it in ages so I don't know if it really is hard to find.

I totally misunderstood, you mean to put transmission fluid in my power steering pump??? Power steering fluid in the bottles isnt ok??? I thought it was type f power steering fluid, not type f tranny fluid!! OHH, please specify.... :confused:

Yes, ATF, as in Automatic Transmission Fluid. Seems weird, but that's what it takes. Look on the power steering filler cap. I think it says so in embossed letters. Also, look in your glovebox manual, if you have one.

The CRC cleaner should be fine. Check the label to verify that it leaves no residue. I use CRC or the LPS brands. As an added bonus, they will remove stains from your necktie and I even used a contact cleaner to remove grease from a cloth interior (mom was pleased).

For alcohol, try isopropyl alcohol. It is also sold as a winter fuel additive "ISO-HEET"

Bob

My pump sprung a leak last week so I went to the junk yard. I found a 2000 OHV with a pump, but they said it won't work(2000 into a 91). Can anybody tell me why? Well after mounting it in my truck and adding type F ATF, this thing is virtualy silent. Did I mention I dont listen very well? :D

who said it wouldnt work? autoparts store? if so then there you go

there is a special spray you can use to clean your MAF sensor. it is called "MAF sensor cleaner". all you do is spray it on and it will evap itself. you should never try to tought the sensor withanything, not even a q tip or cotton. just spray it a bunch of times with the cleaner, let dry, and you are good to go.

Back