Parts and Tools Supplier Question

John Frank

Reaction score
City, State
Sydney NSW
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Explorer 4WD Ltd SOHC
4.0L SOHC Parts and Tools Supplier Question

I have recently started doing work on my Explorer. Explorer parts are very hard to come by in Australia, let alone reasonably priced.

After reading the forums I have now used RockAuto twice for parts and am about to place my third order.

For tools I did not have much luck on RockAuto (there were some but not all I was after) and after reading the forums some more I tried looking up the tools, pricing and shipping on recommended sites. I did not have much luck but did find great prices on ntxtools.com, even better than some of the others that were recommended.

Does anyone have any feedback or experience with these guys? (their shipping fees are high for overseas but the prices are good)

About to install a cam kit (starting to get the noises), rear axle bearing (leaking seal) and lower ball joints.

Here is the list of tools I am currently looking at ordering:
KDT-41630
Bearing Race & Seal Set
OTC-4531
Harmonic Balancer Puller & Installer Set
OTC-6488
Ford Sohc 4.0L V6 Cam Service Set
ATD-3053
Rear Axle Puller Set
APT-7865
Ball Joint Service Tool with 4-wheel Drive Adapters
OTC-6731
Ford Ball Joint Update Kit
KDT-3136
Ford Fan Clutch Wrench Set

Would appreciate any experience anyone has to share about this supplier and if you think any of the tools I am ordering are wrong for my 2000 Explorer V6 SOHC.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

amazon.com is very good for tools.

Thank for the feedback guys, unfortunately and as hard as it is to beleive neither amazon or harbor freight ship to Australia.

Still appreciate feedback from anyone on ntxtools before I place the order.

I can't help with ntx tools, sorry. Don't know anything about them.

Northern Tools does ship outside the US according to their shipping policy, and they do have posted reviews of the stuff they sell.
They may or may not have what you need, and most of their stuff is adequate for the home mechanic. I don't know how shipping costs might compare, certainly a factor.
http://www.northerntool.com/
and shipping policy
http://www.northerntool.com/custhelp/shipping.htm

I sympathize with your availability problem. I live in a very small town suffering from the same problem resulting in most of my odd requirements being shipped. The difference being shipping costs not so prohibitive.
Maybe a future consideration for you.

Thanks fixt, had a look but they don't have all the tools I am after (specifically ford specialty tools). They can ship to me but I need to get pricing by email after placing order.

Anyone else with some info on ntxtools, I am still waiting for them to reply to my email I sent a few days ago and a follow up this morning.

I just got a reply from ntxtools.

Their tool prices are good and they do have free shipping for most of the US for orders over $250. They can ship my order for free to a freight forwarder so I might look at some shipping prices going that way to see if I can get the shipping cost to me down.

Still keen to hear if anyone has any feedback about them.

Looks like I might go with the NTXTools shipping (to save complicating things) as the international shipping through a consolidator works out about the same and if the shipping weight or cubic is higher than it could be more.

I have tried looking at many other options and these guys seem to have very good prices and free shipping on certain order in the US. Others I looked into have higher prices or they do not ship to Aus.

Could be worth checking them out if you have not already compared to some of the other suppliers (I wish Rockauto sold more tools), would have been nice to know if someone here had good or bad experience with them before placing a sizeable order as I listed at the start of this thread.

Back