E-brake cable limiting strap

cmhaah06

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CLOVIS, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
I was under the rear axle today changing out my diff cover, when I realized my ebrake cable was hugging my driver side tire. The ebrake was functioning perfectly and I use it every time I park. I looked to see if something was off and noticed what looked like rubbing marks on the inside of my driver side rear tire where the ebrake cable rubs against when the tire is drooping.

I drove to a nearby dirt mound where I flexed the truck and sure enough the cable rubs the inside of my tire at a certain level of droop. If I compress the driver side rear tire the brake is very easy to apply. If I flex the driver side rear tire, it becomes very hard to apply the brake.

It appears that I have been using the ebrake cable as a limiting strap. Can I just take the driver side cable off until I can get a longer cable? I use my ebrake when I park the ex, but I dont want to rip the cable off the drum and I dont want to keep rubbing the tire on the cable for fear of wearing the tire so much it will blow. If I take the driver side ebrake cable off, would I still have the passenger side ebrake?

i guess effectiveness of the e-brake would be cut in half by the fact its only one drum. then you account for the angle of ground ur using it on. and count in the size tires you have which the drums are not meant to hold in the first place. will it work?...to a degree. hard to access the degree tho. r u willing to risk it?

I guess I should explain the use of my ebrake cable a lil bit more detailed. I use it when I park no matter whether there is a grade or not. I do use it on the trail a little bit, but I dont want it to cause extra wear on my tire. I also dont want to cause damage to the drum where the cable is connected.

This would not be a permanent solution, just a temporary fix so the cable is not rubbing on my tire. I think I have decided to see whats involved in taking it off and then testing it out on a light grade. I can always just leave the transmission in gear for extra peace of mind. Im going to read my chilton manual on how to take the cable off. Does anybody have any tips on how to make this removal easier?

Back